• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1959 Michigan 75 A

GreenMtnMan

Occupation
Truck Driver
That's probably them. I went out and looked with a bright light and could just barely make out the A on the end. When I got it I took one of the bucket cylinders off to get it sealed. I had to dig out some bad smelling stuff that was packed in there. I thought it was old hydraulic fluid. Thanks for helping me out.

kent_323is

Occupation
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Nice looking payloader, I have one very similar to that. How'd you figure out what year it is?
On mine the cab doors rotate up and back.

GreenMtnMan

Occupation
Truck Driver
I was told it was a '59 when I bought it. I'm not sure if that can be confirmed by the serial number. I believe they left the factory 'topless' and you had choices of aftermarket cabs. On mine the sides are open and in the winter there are things like Jeep doors that are held in place by Velcro strips. I'd like to get an enclosed cab for mine.

GreenMtnMan

Occupation
Truck Driver
Winter Fun. I've able been to use the old girl to stack some snow. I live at the top of a dead end hill. So far she has performed very well.

IMG_4774Re.jpg

IMG_4777Re.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I could have used that in your neighborhood Monday. I'd have probably dug a hole and tossed my Sportster in and covered it up! Just a few miles north of you in Bradford I holed a piston on the rear cylinder!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I know what you are talking about Ken. I holed a few pistons in my then quite new 1971 sportster. One of the most fun, nicest handling bikes I ever rode, and I rode hard. Good thing the dealers stocked pistons up to 80 thousands over for them in them days. My buddy pulled me with his 750 Honda for 12 miles once with three bungee cords hooked end to end. At times he was 15 ft away and I had one arm up trying to protect my face from the break I expected and at others I was almost running over him. What a yo yo that was. Lucky no one had a camera or I never would have lived it down. I thought adding oil coolers pretty much ended the piston holing issue? Good luck on the repair job. You probably have it down to about 45 minutes if the cylinder is OK.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Good luck on the repair job. You probably have it down to about 45 minutes if the cylinder is OK.

As this is the second time I have had a failure in Vermont in the last two years, last year it was a broken valve guide on rear cylinder, I'm going to have a local independent shop take it on this time. Have a "spare" Sportster so no rush and sometimes I think getting a second opinion is a good idea.

Greenmtnman, sorry for hi-jacking you thread!