• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1936 Caterpillar crawler "Twenty Two"

DigDug

Just got her home from the "Kemp" Mack Truck Auction in New Hampshire. Going to try and get her fired up some night this week. Here's a couple of pics. doug

Attachments

• cat crawler.jpg
    cat crawler.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 4,348
  • catcrawler.jpg
    catcrawler.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 3,903

Hendrik

I am guessing the 22 refers to engine hp?
Not sure whether they still do it but they used to have a vintage tractor pull in a small town on the SA/Victoria border, I went along to it one year and it was pretty neat to see the old machines working their guts out. There where a few old crawlers amongst them as well.

Hendrik

This is the one I was talking about earlier
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...action=view&current=071103125432.jpg&newest=1
Howdya go Bruce?
By the looks of it there was a bit of wet stuff falling out of the sky that day.
When I was working down near Keith I helped build a rubble road on the farm and the contractor who build it was right into his old gear and I think him and his son help organize the tractor pull, forget his name.

DigDug

Hello Bruce, thanks for your link. I had already found it and saved it in my favorites during a internet search. I have a question.... mine appears to be missing a couple of guages mounted in the back of fuel tank for the operator to see. Do I have a misfit with this girl? Or did some of the 22's come without the guage package? Thanks, doug

bruce oz

hello Doug ,no ,no miss fit ,the early 2f had the gauges mount on the trans in front of the gear leaver ,if you look in the parts book it will show you which serial numbers had gauges were ,they also had a different brand air cleaner ,different model mag than the later 22's,the clutch pressure/plate are different ,hope info helps ,bruce oz

Last edited:

old school

Hello dig dug nice 22 .i was a good friend of richard kemp. that little 22 should start up and run with out to much trouble just about all of that stuff at that auction ran one time or another he took good care of his collection,wile his health good

DigDug

THanks Bruce, I will study your books before I ask any questions.

Thanks, Oldschool. Ok, I heard it had run recently. I just picked up some new gas and was going to change the oil before I start her up. I also need to build a crank start handle. I will post some pics when I get her moving. Thanks guys. doug

bruce oz

hello DigDug ,any question welcome ,i just meant that if you have look in the parts book it will show if your serial number fits in with the gauge mounts, your 22 being early 22 ,they changed a lot of thing quickly up to about 1937 and then most thing stayed the same after this ,bruce oz

ianoz

HI Bruce,Thats a very nice machine you have ,you only got the one or have you got others to keep it company? ian.

DigDug

dig dug did you git her going yet ,qurious to hear the results:Banghead

Hi OldSchool , YES! i got her started finally. I cranked my butt off , then had my son pull me down the drive way a few hundred feet . I took the mag apart to find i couldnt file the points unless I was a gymnist. I cleaned the gummed up spark plugs. Then had him pull some more , finally it roared to life ! I was pretty happy! My son took 4 mins of video while I drove it around the shop dooryard . I will post it here shortly.

bruce oz

hello ianoz ,i sold the 22 a few yrs ago but still can go for a drive on it and a few other cats that the bloke has:notworthy.

hello DigDug ,i found with the 22 that when i tried starting it using the small fuel tank it had to be over 1/2 full ,any lower it wouldn't draw fuel down ,
just a hint if you don't already know this about gas cats ,don't keep cranking the engine ,only one turn at a time ,because once the advance trips on the Maggy it can back fire ,many painful or broken body parts can be one out come ,,glad to hear you got it going ,it will be good to see some video of her running ,bruce oz

old school

Dig doug i was wondering how easy it was to get the soup can off the exhaust pipe. He always had the right size can for the exhaust pipe and after a while they rust right on. Glad to hear that is running ,no doubt in my little mind that it would.That little crawler has sat for 20 years or better good deal glad to see it saved and not sent. Ps does it steer?

DigDug

Old School. Yes , the soda can came off the exhaust easy. Yes , It steers excellent with the foot pedals or lever controls , I was amazingly surprised. Do you know where Kemp acquired it or any history on it? Thanks, doug

Hendrik

Dig doug i was wondering how easy it was to get the soup can off the exhaust pipe. He always had the right size can for the exhaust pipe and after a while they rust right on. Glad to hear that is running ,no doubt in my little mind that it would.That little crawler has sat for 20 years or better good deal glad to see it saved and not sent. Ps does it steer?
Just start er up and the can comes right off:)