• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

188D Sleeve Renoval

wlas

Does anyone have a trick to removing the cylinder sleeves, I tried to drive one out from the bottom with no luck. The engine is in the tractor, is there a tool I can build ? I had a valve head break off at the stem and beat up the piston and now I need the get the sleeve out and replace it and also the piston. I hope I can get the head rebuild, the seat is beat up too. I'll post some pictures once I download them from the camera.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Google is your friend "Sleeve Puller"

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sleeve+puller

Look at some of those pictures and you might get an idea on how to make one if you don't have some place that rents tools.

I believe the 188D is a wet sleeve engine, been too many years since I did one, so you should only have to pull it an inch or so before it will come out easy.

Tinkerer

You could try a bottle jack and a piece of pipe to get it started. You may still have to use a hammer in combination with it. Or you could take the new sleeve to a machine shop and have a plate made to fit it. A long piece of 3/4 inch all thread and some blocking with that plate will work also work.

ScottAR

I made a sleeve puller when I changed the liner rings in a 207 (cousin to the 188-- same block) I made a "bridge" that spanned across the bore and rested on the block. The legs were maybe a couple inches tall. Like Kshansen says, you only have to pull em up an inch or so.

All thread and some big truck lug nuts for pulling. I found a piece of metal the right size for the bottom but a big chunk of flat would likely work-- at least mine were not that stuck. Put some copper on the edges if your worried about it.

I used B7 grade all thread. roughly equal to grade 8 bolt hardness.

wlas

DSCN0437.jpgDSCN0438.jpgDSCN0440.jpgThanks for the help, I am going to make a puller. Here are some pictures of the head with the valve gone and the sleeve with a groove in it and also the piston, which needs to be replaced. I took the head over to a shop and they are going to call and let me know what it's going to cost to replace the seat and a new valve. I also need a new push rod. where's the best place to get a push rod. valve and gaskets ?

Last edited:

ScottAR

That's very similar to mine except I only had two legs. Looks like it would work great. Push rod is probably easiest at the dealer.

Head gasket set is Fel Pro HS8269PT. Anyone that sells fel pro should be able to get you that set. Comes with Head, intake, exhaust, Water pump and a couple other things. I bought a head gasket at the dealer once but it said fel pro right on it so I don't feel the need in this case for dealer parts.

Careful with the head bolts. They are different lengths as I'm sure you found out. One of the bolts to the rocker stands has a hole in it for oiling the rockers so it needs to go back where it came from. Lastly, put loctite on the allen bolt behind the water pump so it doesn't back off into the pump impeller.

HTH

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Thousands of those machines are running without the hollow stud behind the water pump with no ill results. Early we had a rash of head gasket issues till Case got their gaskets nailed down and without the hollow stud and not having to remove the fan and radiator changing gasket time was cut to a minimum. The bolts securing the timing cover to the head are more than adequate to keep it pulled back into place.

To install the front gasket take a large screwdriver and drive it between the head flange and the timing cover till the gasket will slide in, start the 3/8" bolts and remove the screwdriver.

wlas

Well I Got the sleeve out by building a puller just like the one in the picture above. melben thanks for the trick to getting the gasket between the timing cover and the head, I has wondering what to do about that. I marked all the head bolts so they will go right back in the holes they came out of. Right now I am waiting to hear from the machine shop about the head. I''ll check on gaskets, I don't have a parts book to get p/n numbers, but I'll look around on the internet to see what I can come up with.

ScottAR

www.casece.com/ All Case parts books are online. Have diagrams and everything... I look at em before and during my calls to the dealer to check their stock.

Equipment parts source likely also has what you need.

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
I took the head over to a shop and they are going to call and let me know what it's going to cost to replace the seat and a new valve.
It would be foolish to only replace the valve that dropped... You could end up doing this job again in a short period of time... I would get the head completely rebuilt and do a complete inframe rebuild, you'll be kicking yourself later for not doing it!

Reactions: DB2

wlas

I am going to install the cylinder liners, after pulling all of them and inspecting. What do you use for a lub on the o-ring for installation ? I keep hearing don't use an oil base type and use soap or something like that.

kshansen

Occupation
I am going to install the cylinder liners, after pulling all of them and inspecting. What do you use for a lub on the o-ring for installation ? I keep hearing don't use an oil base type and use soap or something like that.

I've mostly used vegetable oil unless the manual specifies motor oil, I know some Cummins did that on some orings.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Just a comment to go in a file of useless information.

Allis Chalmers had a very specific procedure for installing liners involving the use of engine oil.

There was a time allowed to oil the "O"rings and have the liner in and clamped. The theory was that the engine oil caused the "O" ring material to swell which was necessary for a proper seal . . . take too long to get it in there and the "O"rings would swell and be damaged by the installation.

Cheers.

ScottAR

Liquid dish soap with a few drops of water in it for extra slickness. Smartest engine guy I know told me what to use.

I coated the rings by hand, installed them on the liner, and coated them again on the liner to make sure. No issues yet and that was 3? years ago.

Where does the time go.....

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
If the bores are properly cleaned and the approach at the top smooth it's not problem to install sleeves, I have used everything from hose lube, vaseline to GoJo hand cleaner and they can be pushed in by hand. I get nervous when I see sleeves being hammered in.

kshansen

Occupation
Yair . . . Just a comment to go in a file of useless information.

Allis Chalmers had a very specific procedure for installing liners involving the use of engine oil.

There was a time allowed to oil the "O"rings and have the liner in and clamped. The theory was that the engine oil caused the "O" ring material to swell which was necessary for a proper seal . . . take too long to get it in there and the "O"rings would swell and be damaged by the installation.

Cheers.

I believe Cummins has or did have the same procedure.

wlas

I used dish soap and it worked good. The sleeve went right in with no problem , Thanks for all the help so far and I will post as the work continues .

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

I believe Cummins has or did have the same procedure.

Gotcha kshansen. That's interesting, I thought it was an outdated Allis Chalmers aberration.

It did work as one of the fitters apparently pooh pooed the idea and did it his way and we had to drain a couple of gallons of water out of the sump each morning for a few days to finish a job.

When we pulled the sump four were dripping . . . not happy.

Any old slippery stuff will slip them in there but if the design calls for a chemical reaction then so be it . . . afterwards the boss sacrificed an "O" ring and from memory it doubled in diameter in an hour or so and went quite "tacky" after the application of oil.

Cheers.

Last edited: