• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1845c skidsteer has not been started for a few years after drive chain broke.

Jeffrey Kroupa

This is a call for counsel on how to get my 1996 running again. It has suffered investment neglect due to it's owner coming out of a divorce on the shallow end for capital and deep end of BS. It turns over 'but it will not fire. I checked the forward injector and it looked wet, this after I pumped the old fuel out and replaced it with fresh. I would be great if any of you mechanical wizards could shed the light of the proper fix on this for me.

Delmer

Are you getting any smoke/mist out of the exhaust when cranking it? does it seem to crank over fast enough to start?

IF it's an inline Bosch injection pump, then they are known for failing external solenoids, remove the solenoid and wire the control back or check it for full movement. The engine is a cummins 4 right? it will be the 4 cylinder version of the cummins in a dodge ram, so there's lots of info about those online, the extra 2 cylinders doesn't change anything if you have the same injection pump.

old timer

Occupation
field mechanic
Hi Jeffery
I am assuming that this is a non-emissions engine (VE pump)
Look at the basics, check fuses, make sure you have 12V to the shut off solenoid, bleed the supply side (use a 10mm wrench at the bleeder on top of the fuel filter line) using the little arm on the side of the lift pump, then loosen off all the injector lines and crank it over.
Should squirt fuel. If not, the solenoid could be at fault.
Hope this helps,

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
If this 1845C has the original wire to the fuel shut off it is just a spade connector and they were bad for becoming loose or falling off. If you have no smoke this could be the problem. Check the connector but this is what I'd do if it's loose or fell off. Cut the spade end off and crimp/solder a loop terminal on. Take the nut or bolt off the shut off and discard the spade connector, put the loop end on the bolt/post and tighten. Delmer also made a valid point these fuel shut off solenoids were bed for failing as well. You can remove the solenoid, remove the plunger and spring. Reinstall the solenoid without them, this will allow you to start the unit. To stop the unit move the small lever by hand on top of the injection pump