• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1845C Hydraulic Pump:

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
May be nature of the beast but I have good pressure and plenty of hydraulic power with my skid steer. I've always thought the hydraulics were slow in the tractor however. It may just be me but newer skid steers have a cyclical rate much faster than mine.

I'm wondering if it feasible to replace my existing hydraulic pump with one flowing greater volume? Of course with additional flow comes additional static, or system idle pressure and resulting heat, but even after working the machine pretty good for several hours in the summer heat, I've never seen a heating alarm. I do keep the cooler clean however with both garden hose, and pressure washer.

1693TA

Occupation
A few GPM's more probably wouldn't hurt but is it worth the trouble and cost to do?
I am not certain with this at all. If I had a weak system attributed to a defective pump, it would be easily justified. However that is not the case here. It's kind of like sitting at a computer when the anti virus software is scanning or a website is loading, it's working, but annoying and could go faster.

I've always thought the tractor has taken longer than it should to raise a bucket full, or dump a bucket and return to work. As mentioned plenty of power, just slow in action times and this is all hydraulic flow related.

A replacement pump would be about $500.00 and if I did replace would retain the original as a ready spare.

1693TA

Occupation
If I remember correctly, the old 1845 hydraulic/drive system compared to newer stuff is apples and oranges.
I agree and the drive, or hydrostatic system, (Sundstrand/Danfoss) works very well. There is an easy access SAE B, or C pilot flange gear pump at the rear w/ 7/8-13 spline input shaft for the loader hydraulics. To change a pump is basically a slip fit. I don't know the actual displacement of the pump installed, and never seen or heard of this being done myself. However the machine is quite aged, but still very serviceable to me.

I'm wondering if it's operation can be improved upon any? If I upsize the pump just a tad the hydraulic response/cycle times would be shortened which is what I'm after. Engine is original and doesen't bog when going over the hydraulic relief settings so probably have a little room to work with regarding flow.

Wouldn't happen to know the CIR of the original pump would you? I don't think I've ever known myself but haven't ever had a reason to investigate till now.

Thanks,

1693TA

Occupation
Not a very large pump at all as originally installed and plenty of room for expansion. Located a spec sheet on the machine and mine is slow in comparison to standards.

Thanks,