• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1845C boom question.

Vetech63

No, it is for holding the boom up for service or repairs. When the boom is in the air near the top you will unpin the back end of the stop and lay it against the polish rod. Lower the boom until the end of the stop hits the cylinder head. It will hold the boom in that position until you have your service or repairs made. It’s a safety feature.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Now that you have that answered your next order of business should be to obtain an operators manual for that machine.
Just one example I see with a quick Google search:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-1845C...ual-Owners-Maintenance-Book-NEW-/172078984452

Might even check around the machine, when new they all had a plastic "glove box" like compartment, sometimes above your head in the cab with the book in it!
1845C.png
It is that Yellow item in the above picture and should be mounted to the three holes in the ROPS circled in red. If it's not there I would ask the place you bought this machine from where it is and demand they give it to you. I may be an SOB but that item should go with the machine!

Once you find or purchase the book you should make it a high priority to read it cover to cover before you damage the machine or kill someone by not knowing how it should be maintained or operated.

One more link that you should save:

https://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr57482

Last edited:

Don Che

Thanks kshanson! I intend to get a manual if the guy who sold it to me cannot find one. Nothing above the drivers seat except for those three holes where the glove box once resided. There was a plastic case bolted behind the seat that looked to be for a manual, but it was empty. You can see it in the photo below behind the seat.

Attachments

• IMG_9294.JPG
    IMG_9294.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 16

Don Che

Oh kshasen, and thanks for the links. I have already drained the chain case oil, adjusted all 6 chains, greased the whole machine, changed the engine oil and filter. Changed the fan belt. Tonight replacing the hydraulic fluid and filter as well as fuel filter. Also put in a new seat. I have plans for it this weekend covering a 5 foot diameter culvert I just installed in my creek. Thanks for the links too!

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Make sure chains aren't too tight. They need to have some play so they don't side load the seals on the hyd. motors or axles too much.

Don Che

Thanks Welder Dave, Yes, I read lots of posts about tightening the chains before adjusting them. I left a little more that a half inch of travel in each one. I love all the help and support you guys provide! This a great forum!

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I would check the pin brake system and make sure the pins, springs and cables are in good shape. It is important to keep the pan under your feet cleaned out. If you find yourself actuating the brakes on a down hill slope, back up slightly to allow the pins to retract from the holes before going forward.

Don Che

Thanks KSSS. everything looks good except for the rubber boot on one side needs reattached. I had to clean out the pan under my feed to get access to the two hyd motors that drive the thing to adjust the chains. Been breaking up the asphalt like material and vacuuming it out. It had encased the hydraulic hoses up front.

kshansen

Occupation
I would check the pin brake system and make sure the pins, springs and cables are in good shape. It is important to keep the pan under your feet cleaned out. If you find yourself actuating the brakes on a down hill slope, back up slightly to allow the pins to retract from the holes before going forward.
We had one Case 1845 where an operator manage to get the machine to move with those pins locked in. To say the least it took some work to get the pin holes back in the frame and lined up so they would work again.

One of the many reasons I get a bit touchy when people get a new to them machine and try operating it without fully understanding the way things are suppose to work!

Hope you understand Don Che!

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The material that ends up in the belly pan of these machines is like from another planet. Driving through the pin brakes is a really bad day. The pin brake thing wasn't a great way of doing it but for a machine designed when it was its understandable. Most of the issues with it could negated if your operators are not complete idiots, and you keep the belly clean, especially in the Winter.

Don Che

Thanks guys, I read a lot about the parking break system, it's one of the only things folks dislike about this machine. I saw some pretty tore up cluster sprockets where they attempted to drive while the pin was partially engaged. I have these manuals arriving on Saturday.
.Capture.JPG

Larpy

Those manuals are 1845 manuals but the one I got was fir early models. Mine is a 2000 so a lot was different. Searched ebay and found the correct factory manual and parts catalogs that were not reprints.

kshansen

Occupation
Those manuals are 1845 manuals but the one I got was fir early models. Mine is a 2000 so a lot was different. Searched ebay and found the correct factory manual and parts catalogs that were not reprints.
Yes, one needs to be sure manuals are right for the machine you have. It can be a bit of a problem with machines like the 1845C that were made for several years and had many "updates" to systems like drive motors, hydraulic control valves and electrical systems.