• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1845 to 1845c parts compatibility.

Michigan175

Good evening,

New here hoping someone with more knowledge can help answer some questions. I have just purchased my first skid steer, a case 1845.

Planning to start going through the machine as it has sat for a few years, but having trouble locating the correct filter numbers. All of my searching only comes up with results for the 1845C with the Cummins engine.

I Have searched, but cannot find any conclusive answers as to how many parts interchange from the original 1845 to the 1845C.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

MG84

For filters and parts I'd start with your local Case dealer or the Case Construction website. There should be online parts diagrams, even if some parts are obsolete you can use the part numbers to cross reference or search for used.

I have a 1998 Case 1845c, and just by looking at the two I'd say there are far more parts that won't interchange than will.

Michigan175

Thanks for the response so far, hoping others can chime in as well. From the bit of looking online it seems like there is definitely some compatibility, but still trying to figure out how much. Planning to go to local Case dealer this week although it is an hour away. Still have been unable to locate a serial number on the machine, anyone have any ideas where to check?

stefuel

It may be different on yours but on my 1840, the tag is located just below the left control arm if sitting in the seat. small tag probably 2X3 inches if I remember correctly.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
If it would be of any help I have a 1845 Parts book date 1980. Also the operators manual.

Michigan175

Thanks, I have looked all the obvious places. This is the only tag I have found so far, it is on the inside top of the ROPS. Doesn’t have a machine serial number seems to be a plate regarding the ROPS info.

kshansen

Occupation
I believe the drive pumps and probably the drive motors are different. As well as the diesel engine. The 1845 would have the Case 188D where the 1845C has a small Cummins, forget the model number off top of my head. Its is tagged as a Case I believe but is actually Cummins. Just did a quick look, the Case 1845C engine is called a Case 4-390 but is actually a Cummins 4B.

Michigan175

Thanks, it is definitely the case 188 diesel.

KsHansen, I have the operators manual, but getting to see a copy of a parts Manual would be awesome.

Michigan175

Finally got it running today and off the trailer. Noticed that it moved forward and backward without any issue however, trying to turn I felt quite a bit of resistance in the levers.

New to skid steers, so not quite sure how much should be expected but it was more than I thought seems correct.

Parking brake lever was stuck in between engaged and disengaged, but still was able to move. All the brake linkage is seized up, so need to disassemble it still. Not sure if that might cause issues with turning though?

kshansen

Occupation
Thanks, it is definitely the case 188 diesel.

KsHansen, I have the operators manual, but getting to see a copy of a parts Manual would be awesome.
I did send you a private message about the 1845 Parts book. If you don't know how to open them click on the picture of an envelope up near the top right of this page.

Welder Dave

I know someone who worked at a golf course that had an 1845 and then got an 1845C. He said the 1845C was gutless and the older 1845 had more power. The 1845C also used more fuel. After the 1845C they got a Cat they liked. He ended up buying the Cat for his farm when they went to a CTL. I can't remember if it was a Cat or Kubota but they have 2 sets of tracks for it.

As far as parts, I doubt there is very much similar between an 1845 and 1845C. Parts for an 1845 are probably harder to find though.

Michigan175

had some time to work on the machine more, found the serial number.

Any help on finding out there year?

Have tried to find a case serial number lookup online but having no luck.

kshansen

Occupation
had some time to work on the machine more, found the serial number.

Any help on finding out there year?

Have tried to find a case serial number lookup online but having no luck.
Well what I can say is the parts book I have had a letter from the dealer mentioning the warranty on three machines bought at the same time. The letter was dated March 6, 1981 and the serial number on one of the machines was 9854473. So I'd be guessing yours was maybe a year older or so.

stefuel

Pull the seat pan out. There's a ton of mechanical stuff to lubricate related to the steering. My 1840 was very stiff when I got it.

Michigan175

Thank you all for the replies.

So far going pretty good getting things working, left-hand side parking brake cable had snapped so the pin was stuck. New parts are on order so hoping to have that fixed next week.

Linkage for everything was stiff, but has all been freed up and working well now.

Found both chain drives housings full to the brim with water, luckily no real rust somehow. got drained out and refilled with 30 weight.

Got all other fluids and filters changed and seems to operate pretty well.

Definitely needs new pins and bushings for the bucket attachment. Lots of slop.

Just waiting on a set of 12 x 16.5 tires and rims to come in, the narrow tires get stuck way too easy in our sandy soil.

Michigan175

Any recommendations on a good muffler to quiet this thing down? It does have a muffler, but seems awfully loud compared to my other equipment