• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1830 iced up

Old Doug

I changed the oil in my chain cases 2 years ago and the 2 times it was out in the rain the seat didnt even get wet but its frozen up.

Old Doug

When i bought it it was at a dealer ship out side. That winter i had to leave it out 4 hours and it froze it had about a cup of water in one side i was 30 feet from the shop it with deep snow i made it drag its self in the shop . Now its in a shed i have a winch truck that can lift it but i will first try the space heater. I cant believe how easy this happens. I need to start opening the drains often to see if any water is in there. When i get it moved it will spend the winter in the shop.

James Sorochan

Occupation
x-water & sewer construction Now farmer.
We keep the kubota SVL 75 in the shop all winter. We can move bales to feed animals, clear roads. The one thing it can’t do is run the mixer to make feed. I have to pick my windows like today or tomorrow to do that before the real cold returns.

scottwolowich

cover it with a tarp and put a heater under. maybe pour a little isopropyl alcohol or wiper fluid in the chain case. drain and refill once thawed out and ensure that all entry covers are sealed properly.

Old Doug

I got it unfrozen and in the shop tomorrow i will drain it. I wish i could seal it up.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I got it unfrozen and in the shop tomorrow i will drain it. I wish i could seal it up.

I've changed my chain cases oil twice in 20 years. I do every October during annual service routines of my equipment, point the bucket cutting edge at the floor and boom down so the machine is very high in the front. I let it set there about an hour and pull the drain plugs for the chain cases which are at the back and low on an 1845C. Any water intrusion will be at this point whether it be condensate, or rain but it will drain away. Once any water is out, I reinstall the plugs and then top off the cases through the access panels in the operator's compartment. About 5 quarts per side IIRC if doing a change but you can see if the chains are running in oil or not.

My tractor doesn't set out but they do sweat in an unheated building.

Old Doug

Mine only was out side in the day time when i was using it and got wet when it rained just enough to wet the dust. I would like to build a car port close to the shop then if i had to go to leave for a minite it wouldnt get wet. There like a camper they souldnt be out side if they dont have to be.

Old Doug

I couldnt believe it but i had over 4 QTs of water i but know if i didnt get it all drained last time or if it did get more rained on than i thought. It just hit me i was on a clean up job and it started raining i hauled it to a buddys house and left it overnight it poured down as soon as i got unhooked from the trailer. i need to check the other side .