1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

17" lowboy tires?

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by JBGASH, Aug 23, 2019.

1. JBGASH

JBGASH Senior Member

Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
    Looking at a new 35ton Pitts fixed neck lowboy trailer, it has the Budd 17" low profile tires & rims instead of 22.5's. Anyone had bad experiences with these 17" rims & tire? I have 15" Dayton rims on my old lowboy now that are not the very good and do not want anything like them again.

2. fast_st

fast_st Senior Member

IT systems admin
    Ahh the Dayton wheels, those are fun!! good for hauling

3. Oldcatpusher

Oldcatpusher Well-Known Member

17.5’s aren’t bad. I had a them on a 20 ton tag trailer. Never had any trouble. A friend has a landoll trailer with them and moves 25 ton machines all the time with no trouble.

4. fast_st

fast_st Senior Member

IT systems admin
    I upgraded my trailer to 12k axles and went with the super single 17.5 tires, boy are they heavy though but 6k pounds per wheel

5. AzIron

AzIron Senior Member

17.5 do pretty good the lopros dont like curbs with a load but other than that they are pretty good I have had 2 35 ton lowboys on 17.5s

I have learned to buy mid range or higher end tires in that size when its 115 in the summer 17.5 can get warm fast and the cheap ones break down from heat

6. JBGASH

JBGASH Senior Member

Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
    What brands do you find to be good?

7. Oldcatpusher

Oldcatpusher Well-Known Member

Hankook and Goodyear are what I have the best with.

8. AzIron

AzIron Senior Member

Sumitomo does good as well as falken there about the same as hankook in my book I can buy them from a wholesale outfit for really good prices

Goodyear's are usually 30 to 50 more per tire around me

Continental is probably one of the best but they are spendy I do buy those for steering tires they usually dry wrought before they wear out

9. suladas

suladas Senior Member

I've had no problems with mine, since I pull so rarely I went with the cheap ones, been about 1.5 years and still look brand new even after leaving a lot of black marks from tight turns loaded getting into and out of places. Shocking how much they will flex. The lower deck height is really nice for loading though. Although maybe it's just me but they seem to sink really bad in soft ground. Buried the trailer a few times when the truck goes through without leaving a mark.