• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

16b engine repower

td25c

That would be pretty funny seeing the look on the parts guy's face at a Fiat dealer. Probably be about the same as the feller at the hardware store. All BS aside thats the sad part of the story..... Fiat hasent supported these machines for years now. Fiat is a pretty sharp company as far as business go's..... They know when to get in something and when to get out & make money in the process. And then people like myself hang on to the brand and adapt & improvise as needed to keep an old Fiat going .LOL:D

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Design and build was all American by Allis Chalmers; Fiat had no input at all, they just 'bought' a 70% share in AC and then proceded to dump a lot of the good tried and trusted AC products and replace them with Fiat products. Allis Chalmers HD6/11/16 were all dropped and replaced with fiat models 8/10/14/20. HD21/31/41 were kept for awhile then rebadged into fiat numbered models
It was almost sinful that the us government let a huge company like AC fade into the history books. Pity they couldn't have had the same bailout packages that they gave the big US auto companys got a few years ago.
FWIW Dresser have been bought by the Chinese company Luigong. International joined AC in the US history books of great construction machinery history :(

Last edited:

td25c

Yep Hatch & D6Merv. I also fear Dressta will go to the wayside as well. My old 16-B is a 1974 model and if memory serves me correct thats when Fiat bought the Allis-Chalmers construction division. Oh well..... nothing lasts forever........ I heard somewhere on the internet that a company called Caterpillar also makes dozers . I might have to try one in the future.;)

dwool

Repower

Had to do a little fabricating on the Fiat- Allis oil cooler. The original cooler had two cores,one for the engine oil and the other for the transmission. Both cores are identical. I droped the bottom core & welded hose fittings on the endcaps so I could plumb it to the block & cummins engine oil cooler. Also added a few pictures of the front engine mount & air cleaner mount. Both were pretty strait forward to deal with. Had to enlarge the center cradle on the front motor mount abit as front seal hub was larger on the cummins engine. also had to move the mount forward on the tractor frame about 2 inches & drill new holes. Air cleaner was pretty simple, added angle iron at the rear of the cummins and welded a small piece of steel that bolted in to the rocker box. Used 3 inch exhaust pipe for the turbo to the inner cooler and pvc pipe from the air cleaner to the turbo. LOL:D No modifications were needed for the starter as the 16-B used the same series delco starter as most trucks only the 16 starter is 24 volt.
Thanks for your posts. Just acquired a 16b that had been sitting. Ran about 15 minutes before it popped. Talked to an old allis dealer that said cummins used to sell a kit to repower these babies. Not sure what to do with it yet.

td25c

Yeah dwool , I had heard a similar rumor about the repower kits . I called Cummins and the people I talked with at the time weren't aware of it . I'm guessing at one time they probably did have a repower kit .

From a cost standpoint it wasn't that expensive , just took some time working out the details & best way to go about it . Like the belt driven engine oil scavenging system . I Wasn't sure at what point a standard 855 rear sump Cummins lost oil pressure ? No one else did either ? So what we done to find out was my dad sat in one of our road tractors with the engine running while I lifted the rear of the truck with the crane until dad noticed a loss in oil pressure at the gauge . As it turned out the truck lost oil pressure at a 28 degree angle . Now we knew the engine needed the scavenging system for sure to keep it from starving for oil on a steep downward slope in the dozer . Just stuff like that took some extra time :).

I guess it would depend on the condition of the rest of the tractor if its worth the effort re powering . What happened to your Allis Chalmers 844 engine ? Broke crank , locked up ?

Neily

I’ve seen a small cam with a dry sump, was in a loader of some type. We rebuilt the engine at a truck place I worked at, never seen another one.

can-o-worms

Repower

Thanks for your posts. Just acquired a 16b that had been sitting. Ran about 15 minutes before it popped. Talked to an old allis dealer that said cummins used to sell a kit to repower these babies. Not sure what to do with it yet.
dwool how is the repower coming along ? have u found any cummins repower kits for 16b ? I am lookihg for a kit for 175fiat allis Iveco to cummins . thanks

54 autocar

Hey thanks for all the info you have put up on the re power of you 16. I’m wondering what you ended up doing about the hydraulic steering pump for the clutches and the difference in the fan mounts for the fan?
I’m looking at do a swap in my 21a and I’m just trying to figure it all out before I start.