• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1450B Wont Turn Left

1450B

I am looking at purchasing a Case 1450B dozer. The guy is selling it for a reasonable price but he hasn't ran it for 5 years. He quit using it because it stopped turning left. When you pull back on the left lever, the left track stops but the right track seems to lose power also. It will drive perfectly straight forward and backward and it turns right just fine. I have been told the problem could be in the left brake but would like some more advice before pulling the trigger on the purchase. Any idea's would be appreciated.

sheepfoot

It could be linkage not going into detent on the control valve, control valve gaskets with a blown spot, small hose blockage from control valve to end caps, end cap internal wear or seal rings worn or broken, broken shaft, clutch pack. Also need to know if its in low or high range when it acts up. You will need to remove some floorboard and sheet metal, seat pan and seat to do some checking to pin point the problem area.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to HEF 1450B!
There could be any number of reasons causing this problem.
Sheepfoot has already touched on a couple.

If you are thinking of buying the machine - the cost of repairing this problem might scare you off.
Can you test the operation of the machine yourself? Will the owner allow you to carry out pressure testing?
Does the transmission pressure gauge on the dash still work? - this may give us a reasonable indication for testing.

The problem is the RHS won't push the machine round to the left. - Are you using the transmission control levers (LH low & RH high) to make this turn or the LH brake pedal?
Does it happen from start up - when oil is cold? or show itself as oil heats up?
Will either of the tracks spin if you are pushing against something solid?

Please give us a little more info & answer as many questions as possible, so we can help.

cheers

1450B

alrman-
He was using the transmission control levers to turn the machine, not the brakes. The problem occurs immediately with the machine cold. The tracks will both spin when not trying to turn and pushing against something solid. The machine hasn't ran for 5 years so I am not sure if the transmission pressure guage still works or not. It needs new batteries, oil, etc before starting it up.

alrman

Occupation
It is a good idea to get the transmission oil to correct level, before further testing - but I don't think that will fix it.
I'm curious whether it will turn if the range levers are both in low range & the left brake is applied??
I would imagine if he was able to spin the tracks , while pushing against something solid, he had both levers in low (first gear)?
If the transmission gauge is working, we want it to stay near the same pressure in all gear ranges, taking particular note at an engine idle, when oil flow is low.

1450B

Got the dozer all put back together and it works great now. Replaced the control rings in the front of the transmission and found the emergency brake cable was stuck on. Filed it up with oil and it seems to work fine. A couple of the lower track rollers are wore out. ..any ideas on good brand to replace them with? I have found both ITR and ITM brand aftermarket rollers for sale.

sorry to but into this but my 1450b will turn perfect for the first hour then it won't turn. does anyone have a pressure pump i can test the trans pressure with. i have dozer at case and they can't get a tester.

1450B

So...I have started using this machine the last couple of weekends and the left turn issue starts after the oil is warmed up and the machine is under load. The RHS track goes fast but the LHS track sort of stutters and jerks like the clutch is slipping. The charge pressure goes to yellow when this happens. It stays in the green for all the other operations. I did replace all of the oil control rings when I was putting it back together.

alrman

Occupation
Loss of oil pressure is not a good sign.....
Take particular note of what gear range you are in when the pressure drops. eg LH low or high.
What happens to pressure when in LH reverse?

When you replaced the front oil control rings, were any damaged?
Were there any wear grooves inside the end caps, where the oil rings run?
Were the new rings a snug fit in the shaft grooves or did they have some side movement?
Did you check the rings at the rear of the transmission?? One post says you replaced 'front' rings & the last one says 'all' the rings???

Can you raise the tracks off the ground? - Is there any type of drive happening while the transmission is in neutral?

1450B

I replaced all of the rings. The only movement that I loose pressure with is left hand turn forward (left in low right in high). In reverse everything works fine. I have not tried steering with the left hand brake. I did not see any grooves in the caps when I installed them but I wasn't really looking for them either. The rings did seem good and snug when I installed them. I will try lifting the tracks off but it doesn't seem to be trying to move in neutral. It works fine when the oil is cold but when it warms up it starts acting up.

alrman

Occupation
Were the rings you replaced broken? If so which ones?

You will need to get the machine to operating temp.
At an idle, click through each individual range selection & note the pressure gauge.
The 1450B has 2 x forward clutch packs (LH & RH) /2 x rev/ 2 x low/2 x high + another low & high on the mainshaft
You need to figure out if the pressure loss is - LH Forward / or LH Low so compare the pressure reading to LH Reverse & LH High
Any pressure drop you see on the gauge when changing from neutral is caused by leakage.

Fixing the oil control rings is about the only thing you can try with this type of fault , short of going inside the transmission.
If the machine has been used for a long time with broken rings, pressure has been going to different clutch packs while operating. ie - while diving in LH high, LH low has been getting some pressure & dragging the plates - this will cause LH Low to be get hot & burn out the plates & damage piston seals.

You will need to drain the transmission oil & check the suction screen for any tell tale signs of damage.
Take pictures of what you find & post them to assist is diagnosis.