• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

140M C7 operating temp running hot

Gingerbeer

Hey guys,

We have just had a grader come from the workshop which has been sitting for a good 18 months getting circle work and blade work throughout this time.

It’s first light run today and we noticed the temperature gauge sitting higher on the gauge than all our other graders.

The needle sits between halfway and the start of the red.

It doesn’t climb or fall from this point.

The Coolant hose on the RHS of the motor feels very hot and seems to have some abnormal pressure in the header tank.

A service was just complete with new fluids put in everything from the diffs to the coolant.

Grader is an 08 140M with a C7.

It has full power and no misses whatsoever.

Transmission temp is normal.

Any ideas on where to first look would be very much appreciated.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Get yourself an infra-red thermometer and start shooting some temperatures of the coolant hoses to/from the top & bottom of the radiator would be my first suggestion. See what temps you actually have.
Can you see the actual temperature in DegC on the Monitor Panel..?
If it's been sat for so long it might be worth throwing a new thermostat into it, just to eliminate it from the diagnostics.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Normal gauge readings are just alittle above half on our 08 140m, we once had the same problem but the machine would drop in coolant from time to time, turned out to be a small leak in the heater core under the seat, you could not smell coolant till later almost a year till the core got worst, we scratched our heads for the longest time trying to find the leak that was causing the temps to run higher on the gauge, even a pressure test did not show the leak, if your losing a small amount of coolant over time I would check the heater core.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Well, the heat that you have in Texas that you are running in that would look normal to me, it would indicate that my rad would need to be cleaned soon, no higher then that though, just saying, oh yeah.. something else that we changed when we put engine #2 in is the fan speed was low on our 08 140m from the factory, so we put a updated motor for the fan which spun alot faster and helped with cooling problems, something you may want to check also.