• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

140 G transmission issue?

spytr

1992 140g having transmision issue I guess, runs in 1,2,3 forward and reverse but 4,5,6,gear act like you just put into nuetral, anyone have any ideas? We changed filter hoping it make some difference. fluid seemed fine levels ok.

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
and the answer is........................................: bad seals or frictions on no.7 clutch. take the radiator off, fuel tank off with fan assembly, remove transmission (the toughest part is the control cables), paletize and ship to me, cost will be 10-20k this will replace all seals and bearings, depends on what hard parts have grooves worn in them and what-not (good story in shop talk under "in a days work or two") ................................good luck...............theironoracle

catgraderhire

Unfortunately your problem is pointing to an issue in pack 7. Gears 1,2,3 get drive from pack 6 which is a nice big pack, unfortunately pack 7 is allot smaller and tends to wear out more quickly, particularly if loaded up in 4th gear too often. Either a pressure issue in the piston seals or the pack is worn out. I have seen other dramas that lead to a drop in supply pressure to pack 7, none of which are addressed with the box in. Have a look at your pump pickup screen at the back to confirm some brake material or mechanical failure. Sometimes failure somewhere along the main shaft can lead to seal misalignment on the end of the shaft that carries the oil to pack 7. Either way early intervention is the key. Don't forget to replace the difflock solenoid when the box is out, it is a ***** to get too. Hope I have helped, all issues I have encountered myself. catgraderhire.