• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

14 excessive engine oil consumption

Sameh

Dears, I have a motor grader of model "14" with a prefix NN4. The problem is an excessive oil consumption. I have added 13.5 litters after 250 hrs to top up engine oil level. No external leaks found, no leak from turbo seal and the blowby is as recommended. What's your opinion?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I have added 13.5 litters after 250 hrs to top up engine oil level.
A question. Did you add 13.5 litres at one time - 250 operating hours since the last engine oil change, or is the 13.5 litres the total quantity of "top-up" oil that was added during the 250-hour period.?
How often is the engine oil level checked and topped up if necessary.? It should be done daily.
As above, how many total hours are on the engine at this time.?

I'm sure that you have access to ET. I suggest that you should download a Product Status Report and look closely at the Engine ECM statistics for the percentage of Idle Time. In your climatic conditions this will be the time the engine spent working as a 200+ BHP air-conditioner to keep the operator cool.

The possibility exists that all the engine needs to "normlaize" the oil consumption is a bit of hard work..........

Sameh

A question. Did you add 13.5 litres at one time - 250 operating hours since the last engine oil change, or is the 13.5 litres the total quantity of "top-up" oil that was added during the 250-hour period.?
How often is the engine oil level checked and topped up if necessary.? It should be done daily.
As above, how many total hours are on the engine at this time.?

I'm sure that you have access to ET. I suggest that you should download a Product Status Report and look closely at the Engine ECM statistics for the percentage of Idle Time. In your climatic conditions this will be the time the engine spent working as a 200+ BHP air-conditioner to keep the operator cool.

The possibility exists that all the engine needs to "normlaize" the oil consumption is a bit of hard work..........
Dear Nige,
The 13.5 litres are the sum of all times oil added during the 250hrs. The grader is 2461hrs. The idle time is 16% and the average engine load factor is 30%.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
From those numbers it probably needs to be worked significantly harder than it is being worked right now.
13.5 litres in 250 hours is approximately 0.5 litre per 10-hour shift. Significant but I wouldn't class it as excessive.

The usual way of relating engine oil consumption is X litres of fuel burned for every 1 litre of top-up oil added. Somewhere I have a chart for this that identifies what is regarded as "excessive" oil consumption - I need to find it.

Do you have a record going back to when the grader was new of how many litres of fuel it has consumed and how many litres of oil have been added.? If you do not have that record you need to start keeping one ASAP. Total Fuel Consumed as measured by the ECM is a calculated value and not really accurate enough in these circumstances.

Is the oil consumption (when related to fuel burned) increasing or is it staying steady.?

Last edited:

20/80

Occupation
operator
Half a liter of oil in a 10 hr shift in a hot climate I would say would be about normal. 2461hrs on engine is not a lot of hours on a engine, our 140M uses about a 4-5 liters per 12 hour shift on a new reman engine, Cat seems to think that's normal