• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

12 ton excavator preference?

zraffz

Occupation
Public Works
I have narrowed down my choice to start out with a 12 ton excavator because it's the biggest machine I can safely tow with my single axle (21k rear) and the other companies in the area range from a 12 to 15 ton machine. I figure I can be legal with a 30,000lb machine at most

I see multiple brands in the size and price range I am looking at. I'd like to stay right around $30,000... which puts me in the market for a 20 year old machine. I've spoken to a few local guys and everybody has their preference. I'd like to start looking at machines but don't know which manufacturer I want to go with.

I ran a hitachi ex120-3 & 5 for a few years and liked it but was wondering how a Komatsu pc120-6 or a cat 312 would compare as far as power, fuel consumption and cost of parts. I'd have no issue switching hoses on the valve body to have my desired controls. I am mechanically inclined and wouldn't be paying for work to be done unless it was something major but their is a local shop who works on any brand. The closest dealer for the 3 brands is an hour away.

Dickjr.

I wouldn't be really looking at the brand but more so the condition. Any of the three you mentioned , which ever one was the best condition would be my choice. I'd consider a Deere and a Case as well but solely based on the condition.

zraffz

Occupation
Public Works
I understand About the condition. I don't think case makes a machine in this size range and deere doesn't have a 120 model until a few years later and closer to 40 grand. If I was buying a 40g machine, I'd be selling the Pete for a tandem and buying a 135 model machine.

JGibson

Case has made a 9010, and a CX130, excavatly combarable to the PC120 and 312. Case And Link Belt are the same thing, but Link Belt makes a fnatastic machine, that would be a LS2659, 2650Q and 130LX. Deere also makes a fantastic excavator and they have been making a 12 ton machine longer then most... 490D, 490E fantastic machines. A model number doesn't say everything...

JGibson

A few spelling errors in my above post^... *exactly, *fantastic, *LS2650

zraffz

Occupation
Public Works
I actually really like what I am reading about the case 9010b! The price is right in my range too.

I knew about the 490 deer and didn't know anything about the linkbelt manufacturer. I think I am defiantly in the market for a 9010b Or comparable linkbelt 2650q. Thanks.

Last edited: