• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

11r22.5 tire tool?

csthompson12

I had a truck with 19.5's, now I have one with 11r22.5's. I only need to change a few tires. What would you recommend for tire irons? Or would you get the bar that is specific to 22.5s?

IceHole

I bring them to the shop. Not worth my time fussing with.
Last ones I had done was remove, mount and balance 12 19.5s, was around $200

excavator

I have a couple of Ken Tools T45AS tire irons that I use. You will also need a bead breaking hammer. In a way I agree with IceHole that it's a lot easier to bring them to the tire store, but I also find it very frustrating. I'm 65 years old and the last time I had the local tire store mount 4 22.5s on my service truck they ended up kicking me out of the mounting area and they charged me extra. The guy mounting the tires was probably in his early 30s and I know I could have done it in half the amount of time, he didn't really know how to use the tire irons and wouldn't allow me to show him a few tricks.

Old Doug

Owning and working on trucks and working in a tire shop i have worked on a few tires. They bought a tool like the VEVOR were i worked. It works good but i think it is a lot harder on a guys back than tire irons. Two big things use alot of tire lube and you cant use to much tire lube.

crane operator

19.5's are no fun, the short sidewalls make them a bi*** to mount. If you just have to do a few, 11r22.5's aren't bad with just a couple bars. I got a big blue ken tool dismount bar a couple years ago, and its okay, it makes it go a little faster taking the old ones off.

Truck Shop

Schwab average $26.00 a tire--take a good look--you don't see a bunch of old a$$ bites
changing truck tires or car tires. It's a young guy's job, I know of one, one guy that stayed
at it till retirement 62 years-both shoulders gone, both hips gone and back neck pain. Pay
the shops to get it done and if your in a hurry go get a cup of coffee and relax let the young
buck do it, how is he going to learn if no one lets him.

Truck Shop

But even at 67, with steel holding my back together, screwed up hips and wearing a diaper
after prostate surgery---------------I can still slip a tire off and on a 22.5 faster than anyone
on here or in most tire shops, ----------------------but I don't want to.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned

Shimmy1

We do all our own tire work. Probably 40-60 tires per year. As a whole, we are probably only saving $1500-2000 per year.

But the real savings is not running to town, or running back to shop to pull wheel and throw in a pickup to haul to town. That time and those miles are the expensive ones.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I did the last set myself but usually call a younger guy that charges me $20.00 per tire to mount and dismount with no trip charge. I can write that off as sublet labor and no taxes for anyone but I show the expense.

IceHole

We do all our own tire work. Probably 40-60 tires per year. As a whole, we are probably only saving $1500-2000 per year.

But the real savings is not running to town, or running back to shop to pull wheel and throw in a pickup to haul to town. That time and those miles are the expensive ones.
We brought them to the tire shop at work, but it was just down the street.

Same with at my shop. It's maybe 3 miles. Gives me an excuse to walk home with the dog.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have mounted dismounted tires all
My life. Working in fas station or in truck shops and currently here at home.

Still use basic Ken-tool irons even on 16s to my farm tractor 28s. Bought a Oddball tool set at a Sale but yet to use it, been here in my shop five years. Will get the name on it as used similar at the dump truck yard and does work ok.
If determined to do your own get a Tire bead hammer and a slide hammer bead breaker besides.

Truck Shop

It's called a duck bill. When I bought tires--prices was mounted also. Causes the tire dealer
to sharpen their pencil. But I forget I wasn't messing around with a few at a time, average
buy was 300 at a time, plus if I called they sent someone out asap.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
It's called a duck bill. When I bought tires--prices was mounted also. Causes the tire dealer
to sharpen their pencil. But I forget I wasn't messing around with a few at a time, average
buy was 300 at a time, plus if I called they sent someone out asap.
Was that way at the Utility Company, we not ever changed a tire, installed spares and tire company fixed/changed the old ones.

Gaither is the tire bead tool I still have In a Box with other pieces, paid $150 for at a Farm Sale, no one but myself knew what it was. Will get photos later.

Truck Shop

I have a tendency to forget the amount of equipment I was in charge of X the amount of
axles X the amount of tires, 2,400 total.

Old Doug

Was that way at the Utility Company, we not ever changed a tire, installed spares and tire company fixed/changed the old ones.

Gaither is the tire bead tool I still have In a Box with other pieces, paid $150 for at a Farm Sale, no one but myself knew what it was. Will get photos later.
Bead Bazooka ?