• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

11 year old boy operating a 80 longreach excavator video safely

maddog

The reason I agree with the old way of doing a job is that it teaches respect for the whole job rather then just one part. I am NOT saying anyone here is a hot head operator but I have worked at places where the operators thought their xxxx didn't stink. I'd rather work with a "jack of all trades" over the guy/gal with a big head because he/she believes their top dog just because they run a machine. Kind of like the "book worm" telling the "hands on" person how to do stuff, just because they read it. What may look good one way may not fit the bigger picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

maddog

Wrenchbender; I understand your point I also was operating chainsaws and skidding logs{with old tractors/no brakes etc} at a young age{11-12, 40's now}, times where different. I also agree that some are ment for the job more then others, BUT young still = inexperience. The days of farming kids/common sense is slowly comming to an end. I see a lot of video's on you tube with youngsters operating excavators, and it's all cute, UNTIL something bad happens. One video comes to mind, the kid running a mini moving some rock. No big deal except there is a big drop off right behind him. What happens when the little guy hits the wrong control and heads for the cliff??? Chances are he will panic and the loved ones will be attending a funeral.

cderekbower

Wrenchbender; I understand your point I also was operating chainsaws and skidding logs{with old tractors/no brakes etc} at a young age{11-12, 40's now}, times where different. I also agree that some are ment for the job more then others, BUT young still = inexperience. The days of farming kids/common sense is slowly comming to an end. I see a lot of video's on you tube with youngsters operating excavators, and it's all cute, UNTIL something bad happens. One video comes to mind, the kid running a mini moving some rock. No big deal except there is a big drop off right behind him. What happens when the little guy hits the wrong control and heads for the cliff??? Chances are he will panic and the loved ones will be attending a funeral.

Lots of adults would panic, lots of kids would panic. Some adults would not panic. Some kids would not panic. There are many adults now who have never held a shovel or an axe, never started a fire, never built anything, never torn anything down, etc. These adults have less sense of the physical capabilities of materials and machines. They have little sense of what is dangerous and what is not. They have been absent their entire lives from the culture of safety propagated by working men. They, when inexperienced are more dangerous on a job site than almost any 8 yr old farm boy.

enviroset

I have a 5 year old son who loves to go the farm with me. I let him get on our 325 excavator with me (he sits in my lap) and dig around some. Surprisingly, he is very smooth and easy with it. Would'nt trade that time for anything. I wouldnt turn him loose clearing trees, but every boy needs to get out and play in the dirt.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Whilst there is nothing much wrong with a young person learning to use equipment safely (unlike me), plastering it all over the internet might not be such a good idea. Remember the safety police is everywhere these days and them seeing youngens using heavy equipment will only stir them up. Perhaps to such an extend that they will try and impose age limits and such. All it might take is one serious accident, that and a thousand videos of kids playing with big tonka toys and the safety mob will have all the ammo they need to get the pollies to crack down.
Also there are other issues such as insurance and the ability of an 11 year old to assess risks but there again the only way for them to learn to assess risks is on the job.

Stuff the fun police,get the kids learning to dig holes real quick so they can bury the buggers,some of the best operators I have come across started when they were kids unlike the ones today who get work experince in a class room

lilbandit20

i am now 18 and i have been around equipment my whole life. instead of day care i went to work with my father, uncle, and grandfather. while they dug foundations i was sitting in their laps learning the controls. as i got older i was jumping in the hole checking grade. i think that enviroment is a great place to grow up in. it teaches you to be aware of your surroundings. i am now in college and cannot be around the machienes but this forum keeps me sane.

steponmebbbboom

never mind the "safety police" try putting in a claim for workman's comp or health insurance if anyone gets hurt while a kid is operating. and if someone else's kid is operating? kid sprains an ankle and tells mommy and daddy how it happened and boom, lawsuit. what will you tell the court? the truth?

if you want to take that risk go ahead, I wont spoil your fun...

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
You know years ago if some body got hurt they went to the DR.Now days they go see a Laywer.Even your relatives.

steponmebbbboom

years ago people werent hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt with 5 credit cards either... but thats another discussion...

roadrunner81

Occupation
Managing member KSR Excavating, LLC
I think its fine in the right place and time. I started on a komatsu 220 when I was 7 on an active job site. I can remember my dad being very impressed that I avoided all of the stakes. I had learned to run the machine while sitting behind dad and watching him operate.

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
I agree 11 is to young I would have much rather been playing and riding bikes with friends instead of working.:Banghead

Youre Never to young! i started on a 690B loading a crusher when i was 5(with supervision), It was cool to do kid's stuff too but it taught me to love machinery. I have a big reputation around for being verry young and being on dangerous jobs running equipment now at the age of 20 , Running one of our underground crews there isn't an engineer that doubts my experience or my ability's.
I am verry happy to learn that im not the only one to grow up like this and it's neat to see kids just like me !

ScottAR

I started doing simple jobs with a tractor when I was 10. Dad was
there to supervise. He would stop me if something got sketchy and do it himself. Then he'd turn me loose again.
I wouldn't trade that time for a million bucks.

Raildudes dad

My son started running equipment at 10 under supoervison. He usually ran a tie crane on the tourist railroad we both volunteered at. When he was 13, we hosted a tourist railroad mini convention and did a track work demo. I was talking with a supervisor for a shortline RR in WI and my son was standing next to me (He stood as tall as me)) The supervisor asked him if he wanted a summer job the following summer on his tie gang. I asked the supervisor if he hired 14 year olds:D

One day I derailed a larry car. He was the only one around that could operate the 25 ton self propelled crane to rerail it. I asked him who taught him to run it, he told me he watched the regular operator:).

A volunteer brought a CAT 416 to load ballast into dump trucks. At 13, after 4 hours on it and never been on a loader, he could load trucks as fast as the employee that ran it during the week.

swampdog

This reminds me of our neighbors who are farmers. Their son, who was seven or eight years old at the time, one day matter of factly told my wife that he was on his way home to pack his suitcase. He had just blown the engine in the tractor while working in the field, so he planned to clear out before his dad got home.

Training kids to run equipment is one thing, but I don't think one should hold them responsible when things go wrong.

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
This reminds me of our neighbors who are farmers. Their son, who was seven or eight years old at the time, one day matter of factly told my wife that he was on his way home to pack his suitcase. He had just blown the engine in the tractor while working in the field, so he planned to clear out before his dad got home.

Training kids to run equipment is one thing, but I don't think one should hold them responsible when things go wrong.

No you can hold them responcible but you cant treat them like an adult, because they are so sensitive.
I know when i was about 12 or so i broke the tooth off of our 892 because i was to lazy to put a ripper on to rip the rock!
So my dad gave me a grinder and i spent all day grinding and gouging it out for the new tooth and also had to pass rod to our welder. I felt like crap for doing what i did but i also felt alot better when i helped make up for my stubborness, and it also taught me how to welld.

AmericanLandMgt

My little boy isny a year old yet but I cant wait to take him out and let him learn how to run heavy equipment. He's probably going to start on the mowers and work his way up. I was running my family's tractor when I was six or seven.

wildhorse trnr

Occupation
Field Technician
I think teaching youngsters is good, but in the proper place and time. On the farm or relatives land. A commercial jobsite?? NO WAY. Reguardless of what we make think their abilities are, their lack of experience is dangerous, not to mention think of what OSHA would say. Anyone that has been in this business for very long can look back and see what they have learned, and the many things that could have gone wrong but through sheer luck did not, and now having the experience to avoid those errors makes them the safe operators they are.

Cat336DL

i am 13 and i have been going with my dad as since i was 1 year old stared operating when i was 9 wen i was littel i would go for rides in semis and to see our job site and ride in equipment i found this on picture of me when i was littel looking at a brocer for a cat 330BL i still like going with him