• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

104 galion shifter problems

jeff 31

Occupation
I'm a heavy equipment operator for a large local e
Would you know anything about a 104 galion shifter tower. I just bought this machine and having problems with shifter jamming up and not allowing me to shift into any gear at all. had the shifter tower off numerous times and can't see any problems.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum jeff 31. I moved your post from the Austin Western thread to a new thread because you have a legitimate question about your Galion grader. I hope someone can help you out. :)

mitch504

Do you have the "cabover truck" style shifter on the side of the transmission? Gear shift in floor board works one long rod?

jeff 31

Occupation
yes it does have that style of shifter. I've been trying to find a service manual to see if there any kind of adjustment I have to do or is this thing just wore out. I have a 512 adams grader that I maintain a few trucking yards and farm lots i maintain every year but the clutch went out last summer. I bought this machine from a widow who's husband passed back in december hoping to upgrade a littlle bit and hell have hydrualic controls. I'd sure love some info on the shifter problem whether it can be fixed or not.

mitch504

I have a 118a that I traded an equal weight of scrap metal for. It runs beautifully, and everything works but the gearshift. It is stuck in gear, so I only have 3rd and 6th. I have messed with it some, but have not taken a lot of time with it. I have a service manual that covers all galion graders from 195? to 197?. I see in the parts book that there is an adjustment nut on the bottom, w/ a cotter pin through it.

The problem I'm having is that you can't remove the shifter all the way without putting it in neutral, or notching the frame.

How much slop is there in the pins in the linkages on the outside?

I am going to fix this soon, and I can scan the relevant pages for you from the service manual, Maybe we can work through this together.

BTW, my other grader is Austin-Western Super 366.

jeff 31

Occupation
There isn't much play in the knuckle at the transmission but there is quite a bit on the shfter knuckle. I had been told that fellow before me who had passed away back in december fixed it at the transmission. Mine has the frame knotched out to get that shift mechanism out but it is still a tight fit. Mavbe there is some kind of adjustment that I am not doing. What happened was I got it working in the shop, backed it out and it started making a grinding noise and was jammed again.

mitch504

The notch is there in the frame, but I would have to make it much deeper if I can't get it into neutral, or get the forks off without removing it all the way. If it rains this week I'm gonna start on it. Either way, I'll scan those pages and email them to you soon.

jeff 31

Occupation
Hey I really appreciate that. It's gettin to be crunch time for me cause I'm gonna be needin her right shortly. I found that if the high-low pin is not in the neutral position that shifter mec [if it is called that] will not come out. I have that whole unit sittin on a bench right now. I took it out this morning. It seems to jam up on the hi-lo shaft. I'm gettin ready to drag the old galion to the scrap yard which is just a road over swollow my losses and drag the old adams into the shop and put a clutch in her. That ol girl has not let me down to often. Although you know you've done a days work when you run that old girl because your arms feel like their gonna fall off. But I love her anyway and it will never see the scrap yard. This galion has had another guy fixin it who passed away and I don't have a clue what he has done to it. Did I buy a pile of headaches? I hope I can figure this out. Btw I haven't heard of Austin-Western graders. There isn't any in this area that I've seen. Do you use it?

sstouder

Jeff,
we have a 118-B Galion that we've had here on the ranch (15 miles of gravel road) for the last five years and it has a similiar shifting problem as you describe in you grader. The way we've learned to shift it is that we have to shift the high/low into neutral before we shift the primary transmission. the main transmission shift is very "mushy" and, until you get familiar with that part it can be frustrating. Also, when you are backing up a grade and what to shift into a forward gear with the primary transmission you are always better off shifting (we call it popping) the high/low lever into neutral and stopping the machine simulataneously, then shifting from a reverse gear into a forward gear. Once you learn the patience to shift the machine it works alright. A word of warning: don't try too much pressure on the levers as the linkage is a cumbersome and things do break rather easily!! Good luck. I hope I've helped.

Popo

I know this is an old thread but don't see a resolution to the problem. I have Galion 104H series B that has been working relatively fine. Shifting has always been sloppy ( hard to find a gear). This winter it was difficult to get in 3 and assume sloppy linkage. Went to run it again and can't get in any gear, High/low engages fine. So is this just sloppy linkage or something else? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ol' Grump

The old Galion I used to run had shifting problems as well, try to go from 1st to reverse and it would just stay in reverse. What I found out is there is a small pin (from memory 1/2" or larger in diameter and about an inch and half long) that was missing in the tower. I don't know what it's called but I'll call it an interlock pin that only allows one shift fork at a time to move as when it's in place it locks the other fork out. This might sound a bit confusing but once you have the tower off, you'll see what I mean.

It's a bit of a PITA to get that shift tower off the side of the transmission when it's in gear and almost as much fun getting it back . The gears HAVE to be shifted to neutral and the gear lever has to be in neutral as well.

Last edited:

Popo

Thanks. I'll finish rebuilding the linkage under the stick and try again before I pull the tower. Trans is in neutral now. Will the tower clear the frame once the knuckle is off the shaft?

Popo

Just in case this issue happens to someone else. I pulled the tower and found that the top of the knuckle was rusted to the tower and would not rotate and probably could have been freed up by penetrating oil and time, possibly no need to pull the tower. It was a pain to put it back in! Best to keep the protective boot in good shape, I'll be making a new one.

Classic machinery

Just in case this issue happens to someone else. I pulled the tower and found that the top of the knuckle was rusted to the tower and would not rotate and probably could have been freed up by penetrating oil and time, possibly no need to pull the tower. It was a pain to put it back in! Best to keep the protective boot in good shape, I'll be making a new one.
Found your solution to the shifting problem. I'm all the way in Africa with a 104B.
I seem to have landed on this problem with my machine. Can you help and let me know where this tower is located on the machine so I can direct the mechanic on where to look.
Second question. Does this transmission use hydraulic? Is it a wet system?

Thank you for your help.