• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

10 Ton Tag and D3B

AllDodge

Trying to get more stuff in the pole barn. Have a 10 Ton Tag trailer (single post jack front) and have thought about putting the D3B (15K) on it then back in the barn. Issue that keeps me from doing it is the amount of time it may sit before taken it back off. Thought about jacking the frame up and sitting it on blocks, but that would be a job.

Is this a good or bad idea, thoughts?

alskdjfhg

I had a 17k lb lathe sit on a 10k gooseneck for 10 months before I could unload the machine. Trailer was blocked up.

Haven't noticed any issues with the trailer yet, but YMMV.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I would center it close to balance, just a little forward weight and then jack and block close to each end of the D3 to take the weight off the springs. SHould not be any issue at all.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
if have some type of loader or lifting equipment just do like he said :agree and then lift the front up with your lifting device you want need to lift the weight of the hole dozer kinda like a see saw

AllDodge

Was thinking last night, boats set on their trailers for long periods of time, some for years and don't see issues. I figured getting the weight off would be best. The trailer has dexter oil bath axles

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Is your floor concrete or dirt. If dirt it is a good idea to place a scrap of plywood or plank under the wheels to keep poisture off. I agree however, if only for the winter I would not worry about it any. Its not likely to hurt the trailer springs any but the tires might be a bit square for a few miles on the first trip out.

AllDodge

Is your floor concrete or dirt. If dirt it is a good idea to place a scrap of plywood or plank under the wheels to keep poisture off. I agree however, if only for the winter I would not worry about it any. Its not likely to hurt the trailer springs any but the tires might be a bit square for a few miles on the first trip out.

It's concrete, between 6 to 8 inches

lumberjack

If you want to block it up, you could back it in, unhook, raise the landing gear as far as it'll go, and block under the rear of the frame. Back the machine up as far as possible to make it easier and crank the landing gear back up. Leave it on the landing gear or block the front.

AllDodge

Thanks, don't know the current plan right now but leaning toward not doing anything. The jack part is an idea, unhook, lower jack as far down as possible, put blocks under the back frame then crank it back up. Won't take it all off but will remove some