• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

10 Day Hay crop 2009

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
Started cutting on 4/13/09 finished on 4/14/09. We had no rain in the forecast and it did rain right after I finished cutting. My plan was to get all the hay mowed so I could join the Tea Party (tax payers protest) on the 15th.) which I did. I am using 1968 Oliver 1850 and Case IH 8312 Center Pivot 12 Cut Disk Mower. Weather was 80-90's and dry. I had the deflector down to make a wide windrow. I would have been great to have the wheels set like 10 ft. wide so I did not run on the wide windrow. Narrow windrows take to long to dry and we can still get rain through May so for a faster drying time I spread the hay in wide windrows. Hay was not racked for a full 7 days. Then racked 2 time 2 days later. This brought the moisture down to 5%. Start baling on 4/22/09 finished on 23th. Pickup Hay finished on 25th. It is real nice to have a finished bale that is dry and green. The next day the temperature dropped and the winds came up and it's still cold and windy a week later.

Rake is a New Holland 258 hydraulic drive.
Baler is '76 New Holland 290 3 wire late model. I will post soon

Attachments

• IMG_1533.jpeg
    IMG_1533.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 1,278
  • IMG_1542.jpg
    IMG_1542.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,334
  • IMG_1543.jpeg
    IMG_1543.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,205
  • raking2.jpg
    raking2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,227
  • racking4.jpg
    racking4.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,276

Gadgetman

Occupation
project manager and operator
Makes my nose itch just looking at that rake turning the hay. Gets me every yr.

Cool shot with the wind turbines in the background.

j&d

Occupation
Crop & Livestock Producer
Thanks for sharing Darryl. I gotta learn to do the picture thing sometime. Very nice country but I hope those pebbles up on the hills don't have any small cousins in the field...can be hard on the knives. WE mow with a New Holland 1431 that I think is quite similar to yours only older. Ours has rubber rolls for conditioning. Is yours a conditioner? I can't tell. We mow in the mid setting using a 7? degree pitch knife to stay above what few rocks we have. That mower will really mow if you let her eat. I've had ours up to 18 mph just to see what it would do. Now I don't recommend that speed but you can't believe how nice it mowed second crop heavy alfalfa although I doubt much was being crimped. It was really sucking the power off a 205 hp tractor up front. We usually mow 7.5-8.5 mph and slow down for the "ripples" on our rough ground of which we seem to have a lot of. A power shift works good on that mower especially for pivoting on the ends.
I also happen to have an 1850 Oliver that I kinda inherited. I use it for haying cows and running a grain auger where I live so it doesn't see much use. It starts cold but runs good although it has a wobbled/wore out front end. I'm afraid it looks nowhere near as nice as yours.
New holland has good hay equipment and I look forward to seeing that baler. I rode the rack behind a couple different square balers for the neighbors when I was younger.

j&d

Occupation
I'm curious what you do with your hay out there...cows, sheep, horses, sell? Looks like mostly grass but I think I see quite a few alfalfa blooms don't I?
I always thought making hay was part science and mostly luck with the weather. In a perfect world we mow hard on day 1 after the dew burns off about 11 and quit by 5 or 6. Leave it lay on day 2 and go rake fast on day 3 with a large v-rake about 10 am. We bale large rounds with a Vermeer 605M.
WE aren't in the dairy business so quality is not the first concern. I know in places where they "really" make hay, climates dictate a different approach like baling at night.
I never worry about driving on the hay unless its pressing it into the soft ground in which case I shouldn't be out there anyway.
A fella at the University of Wisconsin did extensive research on making hay and its an interesting read if you can find it. Names Undersander I'm pretty sure. He said the single most important thing you can do to make quality hay is to spread it out as wide as possible to promote fast initial drying. Seemshay is still trying to grow after cut is is using energy and losing energy or sugars through the pores or stomates. Fast initial drying traps these sugars or something like that. My point is I never could understand why hay is mowed into a narrow windrow for baling. We do it when we are chopping to avoid the hay getting too dry for us but for baling ?? Another thing I could never understand is the tedder except in the more humid climates or after hay is rained on.
Our hay is only 6 inches tall yet and we have a lot of corn and beans to plant if it ever drys up.
Sorry I've rambled... I get too analytical. Thanks again for pictures its nice to see how its done in different parts of the country.

td25c

Glad to here you got the hay put up .The 1850 oliver looks immaculant.I cant wait to see the new holland 290 3 wire baler.We only have 2 wire or twine balers in my area.The 3 wire must be popular on the west coast.I have noticed in old western movies & tv shows they always had 3 wire bales in the background.

hvy 1ton

Makes my nose itch just looking at that rake turning the hay. Gets me every yr.
I know how you feel. I have hay and dust allergies, theres nothing worse than stacking alfalfa in a loft in 2am with no wind. I almost fell out of the door one time i started coughing so hard. :eek:

Gadgetman

Occupation
project manager and operator
Thought you were young. What are you doing bucking bales these days? lol

I spent my 14th and 15th summers bucking alfalfa bales for the first farmers who called. That was hard work and good money for a pup. I came home long after dark,dirty,sunburnt,with a runny nose. Sometimes 7 days a week.

Man was I glad when I moved up to field work.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
WE mow with a New Holland 1431 that I think is quite similar to yours only older. Ours has rubber rolls for conditioning. Is yours a conditioner? I can't tell. We mow in the mid setting using a 7? degree pitch knife to stay above what few rocks we have. That mower will really mow if you let her eat. I've had ours up to 18 mph just to see what it would do.

Yes this is a conditioner with 1 rubber and 1 steel roller that are notched and pull the cut hay right off the 8 rotary disk knifes that run at 3000rpm. It's just great how well it works along with the center piviot. And you can go as fast as you want I go around 4.5 mph. I mow with the blades tilted all the way down most of the time.
You can't mow this crop a sickle bar there is a lot of bronco grass a real fine bunch grass along with the viney purple vetch it just jams up or hammers. This disk mower just goes and doesn't plug I feed the hay to Black Angus Cow and calf herd. I am going to plant oats next year because it is still growing and will grow without water which is just what I need. plus I need to spray for weeds and I can't with a grass-Rye and a legume purple vetch. I would like to go back and spray with 2-4-D or maybe Transline? I have not grown oats in 45 years so I got to check.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
I'm curious what you do with your hay out there...cows, sheep, horses, sell? Looks like mostly grass but I think I see quite a few alfalfa blooms don't I?
I always thought making hay was part science and mostly luck with the weather. In a perfect world we mow hard on day 1 after the dew burns off about 11 and quit by 5 or 6. Leave it lay on day 2 and go rake fast on day 3 with a large v-rake about 10 am. We bale large rounds with a Vermeer 605M.
WE aren't in the dairy business so quality is not the first concern. I know in places where they "really" make hay, climates dictate a different approach like baling at night.
I never worry about driving on the hay unless its pressing it into the soft ground in which case I shouldn't be out there anyway.
A fella at the University of Wisconsin did extensive research on making hay and its an interesting read if you can find it. Names Undersander I'm pretty sure. He said the single most important thing you can do to make quality hay is to spread it out as wide as possible to promote fast initial drying. Seemshay is still trying to grow after cut is is using energy and losing energy or sugars through the pores or stomates. Fast initial drying traps these sugars or something like that. My point is I never could understand why hay is mowed into a narrow windrow for baling. We do it when we are chopping to avoid the hay getting too dry for us but for baling ?? Another thing I could never understand is the tedder except in the more humid climates or after hay is rained on.
Our hay is only 6 inches tall yet and we have a lot of corn and beans to plant if it ever drys up.
Sorry I've rambled... I get too analytical. Thanks again for pictures its nice to see how its done in different parts of the country.

The hay is first cutting that's all I get dry land no irrigation. Rye Grass and Purple Vetch. I feed Black Angus cow & calf herd.

I agree it is a science making hay. I see guys leave bales out and get rained on. Leave the hay way to long and gets rained on. It's like they don't care? Or not that important. It is raining 2 days in a row. I am lucky that my hay is out of the field and under cover. I went by a field of wind-rowed hay today that most will be lost before it gets into the baler.
I think that what we did 45 years ago is now a lost art we grew alfalfa for the dairy cows, in Pennsylvania. And we made good hay and it was green color most of the time and full of leaves. It would be mowed late morning sickle bar and conditioner. I think after 2 or 3 days we would ted the hay which we did real real slow. We used old steel wheel New Idea rakes hooked in tandem. That was to keep the leaves on. It might need a second tedding if we got heavy due. If it would rain we might run the conditioner over it and ring out the water asa long as it was not raked in windrows. Then we would rake it if it felt right. It might need to be turned over again if there still had a little moisture in it. I was glad I learned from the best back then. Now I can apply what I learned.

The tight windrow is used because you lose less Alfalfa when it is not spread out. Over the hill 10 miles East in the central valley were irrigation is used and they make a tight windrow and can let it dry a wile longer with out worry of rain. (Most of the time.) Then they use v-rake and double up the windrows. So what farmers like to ramble!

DarrylMueller

Occupation

I spent my 14th and 15th summers bucking alfalfa bales for the first farmers who called. That was hard work and good money for a pup. I came home long after dark,dirty,sunburnt,with a runny nose. Sometimes 7 days a week.

I put a 10 by 6 plate on the front of backhoe loaded and two guys on the plat can pick up and carry 18 bales quick and then they can be put up high if needed. I spent lots of time in my school days stacking hay on wagons behind the baler and unloading wagons. It was good honest work! $.75 per hr. to.

j&d

Occupation
Wow $.75 per hour! Thats impressive! I think the lowest I remember getting paid for throwing bales was $2.00 per hour. Much like you I'm sure, I earned it and went home happy.
Hey I'm familiar with the old steel wheel new holland rake. Throw the lever one way and it raked...the other way and it tedded with neutral in the middle I think. We had one along with 3 JD's that we just left parked at different farms so we didn't have to pull them down the road. We used up a lot of grease keeping those things running up until 10-12 years ago when we finally just tired of repairing the worn out things. Good rakes though.
I think I see from the photos now why you mow low. That grass looks like it goes down and gets twisted. Tough mowing conditions but isn't it nice to mow without worrying about plugging! That hydraulic drive rake (I've never been around one) looks to be sorting it out real well. Probably just the operator. !)
Sound like your more familiar with the art than I may ever be. Thanks!
Jeff

DarrylMueller

Occupation
New Holland Hayliner 290

New Holland Hayliner 290.
This was the high production 3 wire baler of the 70's and they have a good reputation. Powered by 53 hp. Wisconsin
I was used to the speed of a 2 wire baler of the 50' & 60' Like a IH W55-45 and New Holland 2 string baler. This goes a lot faster.
The way I was told to run the 290 was fast. This means you should try and make a bale in 22 strokes I have made some in 19 but 22 is the goal. Now the baler is running at 80 strokes per minute. The reason is if it takes 30 strokes you are going to slow. So in my conditions I was running around 4.5 to 6.5 miles per hr. The the pressure on the bale tension is hydraulic 50 psi. is the correct setting unless breakage occurs. That is If you make the bale to tight you will break wires. In that case have to back it off tension to less than 50 psi. I rebuilt the twister the two years ago. It took some time for me to adjust it, and get it working good after the new parts. I all ways wondered how the twister or tier worked? I never would have thought that I would ever be working on one and fix it. This year all I did was grease & oil it. Put the wire in and bale. Out of 532 bales 1 bale broke (to tight) and 2 wires were broke (to tight)? With 5% moisture the bales were as tight as straw bales. I got a moisture meter last year, did not have good drying weather last year, but wanted to get it put up as soon as possible.

Attachments

• 18_24.jpg
    18_24.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,331
  • 13_24.jpg
    13_24.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,111
  • 3_24.jpg
    3_24.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,116
  • IMG_1555.jpeg
    IMG_1555.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 1,077
  • IMG_1565.jpeg
    IMG_1565.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,057

hvy 1ton

You can get out of bucking bales? I started out pulling goosenecks and wheel raking and "moved up" to throwing hay. I figured when we sold most of our horses we-me- wouldn't be doing as many squares. Now everyone has horses and not enough land to keep them in grass, let alone hay. It's too much easy money :pointhead to round bale it all. One guess who told me that.

Anyway Darryl, how wide is your mower with 8 disks? Hydroswing mowers are nice start at one end and cut to the other. No splitting fields or any of the assorted other bs associated with sidepulls. Some day i'm gonna pick up a 11' hydroswing, but by then I'll be paying the bills.:rolleyes:

bd797

That looked like a prettty decent crop. Better than we got on the other side of the hill. Pretty meager. Hope that 290 keeps workin for ya. Parts are no longer being offered for it.