• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

10,000 yards.. What size dozer?

crazycajun

I have to move 500,000 cu yards in 120 calender days. Average haul 800 ft. I will have 4 D400's being pulled by 2 quadtrac's and 2 independant 740's. I will be loading with a 385, 7.25yd bucket. 5-7 acre hole +- 35ft deep. i will just need to pile dirt in 3 specific locations, piles will be approx 20ft tall. i plan to run the trucks on top of the pile as i go up. Hoping to haul 10,000 yards/day What size dozer will i need to keep up with the trucks? I have 2 D6N's. Looking to aquire something that can handle this situation.

SE-Ia Cowman

Just a few questions 4 d400 being pulled by 2 quadtrracks are these dumptrucks turned in to trailors then pulled in tandem if so I think one will be a load we pull one 30ton trailor behind a D6t and on slopes or in the mud it is a load. Also the 800 foot Haul might be a bit shy a 800 x 800 hole 33 feet deep with straight sides is 778316 yards figure in a 3:1 side slope and the hole wouldnt be enugh to get 500000 yards out of therefore depending on were you put the dirt it may be a longer haul than 800 feet and 500000 yards will make a pile that is 21 feet tall 120 wide and a mile long. But to answer your question 6 40 ton haulers makeing 10 loads an hour would be about 1920 yards an hour if you dont need any compaction and your just strikeing the piles off a D8r would probably work. If you need to meet compaction or have to cary very far with the dozer might need a couple 8s But there are a lot of variables

ontrac

Do not forget material swell. Where is the water table? I would think you would be in the mud by 35 feet.

crazycajun

Well, I guess I won't be loading 1920 yards and hr. Prolly can't get more than 1,000/hr. I am already pulling 4 d400's behind 2 535 quadtrac tractors. Quite heavy, but works exceptionally well. Getting 2200 yards per tractor per 11hr hauling 4500 ft. It's in a landfill, and they have the piles drawn on the plans, no compaction. I'm hoping watertable is below -18ft elevation, cause that's where bottom grade of cell is. I have a dirt pit 20 miles south of there and at -22 elevation we are running tri-axles on bottom no problem. I believe I'm gonna try to keep up with a d6N and a d6T. The N will dress the hole also. I'm gonna try to get some pictures of quads w/ dumps. We are selling dirt to a big road contractor getting paid 60/yrds a load.

xcavate

I saw a job the other day that was using 2 PC1250's and 10 artic haul tracks that moved 10,000 cy's a day. 385 might be a little small. You want two pass loads with a 10 cy bucket.

crazycajun

Well if i cant load 8000 a day with a 385 and 7 40 ton'ers hauling 1,000 ft from the hole I need to quit and do something else, I hauled 4000 today with one tractor and 4 tri axles hauling a mile onsite with a 345, and of course the trucks were bunched together... I can work 12-15 hrs if need be to get it done...

SPLUNK

Occupation
EQUIPMENT SALES
Why would you not use tractors and pull pans on this job, eliminate the dozer problem, excavator problem, fewer employees, less fuel, less investment> 800ft haul,a quad with a 20 yard single scraper can cycle in around 4 or 5 minutes with a good operator.

crazycajun

Well, for one i already have the quads and double wagons, and i dont think at 18ft below sea level it will be possible to run on the bottom. I know the guy who did the first two cells 10 years ago and he said it was definately not scraper dirt. Infact he didnt even bid on it. I am getting $1.99/yrd to move it. Think i can make any amount of profit?