• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1 wire alternator delco

jerry D enright

hi all, I have almost completed the re-wire on my case 580ck 188d, but this alternator wires don't read the voltmeter and light, do I need to connect the 2 spades on the side to complete this cycle to the voltmeter and charging light?

Delmer

A voltmeter shouldn't need to be hooked to the alternator. The alternator warning light (battery idiot light) is usually the feed to the excite circuit of the alternator, you can try hooking that to the alternator, I'm not sure if it will function on a one wire alternator.

jerry D enright

OK guys thanks, I'll get the pic to upload...the system was already upgraded to 12n ground, I completed almost all the re-wiring except for the alternator! After I looked at the diagrams in the manual for the 580C, its not clearly illustrated for me to complete this project. thanks jerry

jerry D enright

thanks Swetz, I looked at the above post but am lost. I don't understand the Delco alternators with all the components. I just wanted to keep it simple and use a warning light to tell what the alternator is working or not for my 580ck 188 diesel that uses a stop pull cord to shut the motor off. No electric solenoids

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
If you actually have a Delco SI type "one wire" unit, it won't have the two terminal spade connector on the side of it. It should just have a ground screw and a B+ terminal. The B+ terminal goes to the battery. Next, to monitor your charging system, simply use a voltmeter.

On the other hand, if you have a regular run-of-the-mill, Delco 10si or 12si alternator, you will need to run a field circuit with an indicator lamp. Easy peazy. A quick google search will supply the wiring diagram. You might even be able to utilize your existing indicator lamp.

Coaldust

Occupation
Some guys skip the indicator lamp, but I recommend you install a lamp or a resistor because the voltage regulator will work as designed. Or, you can use a 10watt , 10 ohm resistor.

Sometimes, doing a retrofit will create a situation where the alternator can backfeed the fuel shutoff solenoid and keep the engine running even with the ignition key off. Various places sell a diode that prevents that specifically for the Delco SI series alternators. I've got a spare in my tool box. I'll see if I can find it.

Coaldust

Occupation
There it is! Just a basic 10si one wire. It's not set up for an indicator lamp or anything. Just install a voltmeter and monitor battery charging voltage. No practical way to install an indicator lamp.

Tinkerer

Your image does not show the two prongs on the top of the alternator that should be in that black plug.
I can see the black plug in the top photo. I would like to see if any wires are plugged in there. They are crucial for it to charge.

Coaldust

Occupation
Jerry's alternator has a self exciting voltage regulator. It doesn't require a field circuit. That's why it has the tamper resistant black plug on it. The 1 and 2 terminals are actually connected together internally. Here is a picture of it. IMG_0019.JPG

Delmer

I think I've seen the self exciting regulators with the prongs and without. And also with a connector that adjusts the voltage for shorter use, or winter, or longer use.

If there's no prongs, then you need the voltmeter working, no indicator lamp will work (or you could rig something up to read voltage and set the indicator lamp)

If you have the two prongs showing, then hook up the wires you have, you might get the indicator light to work.

Last edited:

jerry D enright

Your image does not show the two prongs on the top of the alternator that should be in that black plug.
I can see the black plug in the top photo. I would like to see if any wires are plugged in there. They are crucial for it to charge.
No there are no wires connected to the black plug in the top of the alternator, is that where the wires connect to and if so where do they go from there.

jerry D enright

I think I've seen the self exciting regulators with the prongs and without. And also with a connector that adjusts the voltage for shorter use, or winter, or longer use.

If there's no prongs, then you need the voltmeter working, no indicator lamp will work (or you could rig something up to read voltage and set the indicator lamp)

If you have the two prongs showing, then hook up the wires you have, you might get them to work.
One 1 wire is hooked up to the back of the alternator, the black plug is where the 2 spades are..I don't have any other wires to hook up, that is why I am asking which wires go where? totally new to this stuff so I have no idea and the manual/ book doesn't explain anything that I understand.