• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

AW 46 Hydraulic Oil quality

perryskorp

FYI this is from the PPC lubricants website:

"The Petroleum Quality Institute of America conducted a study of 303 fluids purchased from store shelves at random in 2017/2018 in order to determine their performance levels. Their results were shocking to say the least:

• 91% failed to meet the J20-C and J20-A specifications
  • 74% failed to meet any JDM specifications
  • 60% chance of lower anti-wear protection than J20-C
  • 73% chance will offer less detergency than J20-C"
Sounds like more than a Warren problem. Wonder who else was caught?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
If a guy is trying to save a buck, on a personal project, occasionally, expired product is available that the distributor can’t normally sell. We’d like to think lube jobbers are well oiled machines (ha ha) with the most efficient inventory control systems. FIFO.

That’s not the case. The competency crisis is alive and well and “we” end up with expired lube that gets sold out the back door. Sometimes, it’s odd ball stuff. Other times, it’s a few drums that get forgotten in a corner because it will take three hours to move product just to get one pallet.

It’s worth getting to know your local sales rep.

Coaldust

Occupation
FYI this is from the PPC lubricants website:

"The Petroleum Quality Institute of America conducted a study of 303 fluids purchased from store shelves at random in 2017/2018 in order to determine their performance levels. Their results were shocking to say the least:

• 91% failed to meet the J20-C and J20-A specifications
  • 74% failed to meet any JDM specifications
  • 60% chance of lower anti-wear protection than J20-C
  • 73% chance will offer less detergency than J20-C"
Sounds like more than a Warren problem. Wonder who else was caught?
Yeah. I could name some other sketchy blenders, but I shouldn’t.

Welder Dave

I think you should be able to find a suitable oil for less than $1500 a barrel. Look at name brand oils and talk to bulk oil suppliers. I'm sure the Cat oil on sale would be fine and I'm sure there are others too. You basically looked at 2 barrels of oil. OEM at $1500 and tractor supply for $500. Should be able to find something in the $700-$800 range and maybe less on sale. I don't think your machine is an exotic one hybrid off that requires the most advanced oil on the planet.

Delmer

You don't have to get the dealers oil, any of the major oil companies make a good quality hydraulic oil that will be around $20 gallon. Have you tested the oil in there? before spending $500 on rural king oil, see how the oil that's in there is doing. Some of the cheaper hydraulic oils are recycled, might as well recycle your own and save the money in that case.

Coaldust

Occupation
You don't have to get the dealers oil, any of the major oil companies make a good quality hydraulic oil that will be around $20 gallon. Have you tested the oil in there? before spending $500 on rural king oil, see how the oil that's in there is doing.
I guess we could take a deep breath and think rationally about this, maybe pull a sample and kick the tires. But, I want to sell some oil. Knowwhatimsayin ?

Coaldust

Occupation
Funny thinking back, pre-clown world, when the thought spending $1,500 bucks for a filter cart, was a luxury only dealers had.

Today, even if I was a one-man, part-time contractor with a mini-ex, or a farmer with a skid steer for mucking out the cow barn, I would have a filter cart for maintaining my $25 per gallon hydraulic oil.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
You don't have to get the dealers oil, any of the major oil companies make a good quality hydraulic oil
Amen to that. The OEMs don't blend oils for their dealers to sell, they have an oil company do it for them. In the past Mobil produced all Cat-branded lubricants, I am not sure if that is still the case.

There is a middle ground price-wise between buying at "Joe Blow's Gas & Groceries" (or your local equivalent) and the OEM dealer, and the above is it. Strangely-enough buying major oil company branded oils ought to be pretty attractive price-wise. Whodathunkit..... :eek::eek:

IceHole

Appreciate the info. I looked into the 303 debacle a little bit. Would be an easy call if it weren’t for a $1,000 difference. If I can’t get any better info I will probably bite the bullet and buy from the dealer. Thanks!
Info from?

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
In my short experience any oil is better than no oil. And cheap oil is better than oil with water and dirt in it. And if the pump costs less than a drum of oil use the cheap oil and don't worry about it.

A new pump or rebuild in your excavator is a high dollar item get the correct fluid. But power drive 10w I bet would do it and it's about 850 a drum.

IceHole

Funny thinking back, pre-clown world, when the thought spending $1,500 bucks for a filter cart, was a luxury only dealers had.

Today, even if I was a one-man, part-time contractor with a mini-ex, or a farmer with a skid steer for mucking out the cow barn, I would have a filter cart for maintaining my $25 per gallon hydraulic oil.
I've made a couple for maybe $300 in parts

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Don't most excavators require zinc-free hydraulic oil? Pretty sure Deere/Hitachi require it but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Best to go with the manufacturer's recommendations. I also recommend filtering the new oil before putting it in the machine. New oil isn't exactly clean out of the bucket and will probably fail an ISO particle count check.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Only Deere/hitachi require ashless oil AFAIK. Certainly Cat don't. No idea regarding Kobelco.
I was pretty certain on Deere/Hitachi but I haven't worked on one of those in years. Never worked much on any other brand.

IceHole

Don't most excavators require zinc-free hydraulic oil? Pretty sure Deere/Hitachi require it but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Best to go with the manufacturer's recommendations. I also recommend filtering the new oil before putting it in the machine. New oil isn't exactly clean out of the bucket and will probably fail an ISO particle count check.

Newer Hitachi recommend it but zinc oil can be used too.

Delmer

In my short experience any oil is better than no oil. And cheap oil is better than oil with water and dirt in it...
That's assuming the cheap oil is clean, and it is not very clean. There are other ways to remove water and dirt besides flushing with new oil. It's one thing if you're talking about a skid steer or mini that needs one bucket, but once you talk about barrels, and multiple changes to get most of the old oil out, then repeated inline filtering or drying starts making sense.

perryskorp

Well…I think I solved this one. Local oil distributor (actually a $2B company) will sell me the equivalent Shell product for less than $800/bbl. The dealer oil was Case at $1,200. Thanks for all the answers! I’m gonna have lots questions.