• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Your Results on the CCO practical.....

Dmconstruct

Occupation
Operating Engineer Crane Op
Well I received my results today on the small, large hyrdraulic and lattice boom.
I passed the squirt booms but failed the lattice.
I tested on an older bucyrus erie 30B 50 tonner. The only motion I messed up some, was on the forward zigzag by knockin over 4 cones and 3 tennis balls. Every other motion on the test was smooth and flawless including the reverse zigzag. Any other stories out there we can compare results to?

Big Tater

I sweated taking the practical test but passed on the first time. Saw two guys before me wipe out the course. I took the large hyd and the lattice boom tests. got a 100 on the L hyd and an 90 on the lattice boom. I knocked off a tennis ball but not the cone and I went over the 3 min on the return through the zig zag. Took the test on an old P&H 80 ton with s--t swingers. I think there would be better results for the members if the union had some newer rigs for the testing.

Us older guys are having more problems on the written tests. Hell, I haven't taken a test since HS. I don't like the policy on not being able to use a calculator for the math. My math sucks. If I was that good I'd have been an engineer not an operating engineer.

Tater

Dmconstruct

Occupation
Operating Engineer Crane Op
I agree with having the Unions upgrading their rigs. Some Locals simply cant furnish it due to low membership. My local barely has 900 members. I could go down to New Jersey, 4.5 hrs away and take the Lattice boom practical on a 222. The calculator is another issue, I would agree up until I took the written exam for all four cranes small hyd, lg hyd, crawler and AT lattice boom. The math was pretty simple arithmithic as long as you could remember all your deductions. I've never been on a job that wouldnt allow calculators, or a 3 min time limit to float a load and land it. Going through the 40hr class preparing for the written I was nervous about all the math, but the instructor went above and beyond. We were def over prepared for the written exam. I felt really confident upon completing those exams on that long saturday. 8 hrs of testing...:Banghead

No1Hookman

Occupation
Duh.......
Took the test on an old P&H 80 ton with s--t swingers. I think there would be better results for the members if the union had some newer rigs for the testing.
Tater

Where did you take your test? If Richfield, I feel your pain.

gostr8r

Occupation
Full time crane operator for Crane Rental Corp sin
When I first took mine in '96 I think it was, I had the highest scores on all the tests and so won an all expenses paid thrip to the Manitowoc factory from my company. A way cool place to visit.

gostr8r

Occupation
Last edited:

Hoister

Occupation
Operating Engineer
New rigs for all of our union training sites? Ehh, two schools of thought on that one. Its good to have newer cranes so we can all be familiar with the setup procedures and not to mention the computers on these things. But if you can run an older hydro or friction rig in a smooth manner, it'll make you a much better operator when in comes to the new stuff. So in my opinion we should keep both old and new cranes around.

Now my CCO story. Passed the small hydro and lattice crawler no problem. Went to the large hydro, did everything just fine. However, when it came time to go the reverse direction back through the corridor I just couldn't quite find where she would boom down nice n easy for me in the foot pedal. Ended up jumpin and running on me a few feet, knocked three or so tennis balls on the ground as I had a pretty good vortex going with the weight. Now I was actually able to recover and pass, but I was so mad at myself. Lol

gostr8r

Occupation
Old rigs too?

I agree with you about keeping the old rigs around for training and qualifying. The ones that can get on 'em, figure them out and make the job go well are a dying breed. We still have quite a few friction left in our inventory of about 100 cranes but yes they're being phased out and replaced with the latest and greatest, with all the bells and whistles. Today's rentors are requiring the new stuff more and more as time go on, so we have to adapt. I recently did a 5 month project hanging red iron on Harry Potter's Castle with a Manitowoc 4000 tower. Not a fun job or a fun rig to do it with but was glad to see it sold after it came off the Universal Studios Orlando project. It had some feel to it and feed back, but after being in this game since 73 I now am in recovery from a total knee and knee cap replacement. I'll settle for the new stuff now!
New rigs for all of our union training sites? Ehh, two schools of thought on that one. Its good to have newer cranes so we can all be familiar with the setup procedures and not to mention the computers on these things. But if you can run an older hydro or friction rig in a smooth manner, it'll make you a much better operator when in comes to the new stuff. So in my opinion we should keep both old and new cranes around.

Now my CCO story. Passed the small hydro and lattice crawler no problem. Went to the large hydro, did everything just fine. However, when it came time to go the reverse direction back through the corridor I just couldn't quite find where she would boom down nice n easy for me in the foot pedal. Ended up jumpin and running on me a few feet, knocked three or so tennis balls on the ground as I had a pretty good vortex going with the weight. Now I was actually able to recover and pass, but I was so mad at myself. Lol

catkicker

Occupation
Crane Operator
It's crazy that there is not one HYD. Lattice boom crawler in the state of Ohio. The union spent millions on these training sites but the equipment is pretty old and in a lot of cases junk. You have to spend time learning how to run a friction rig so you can take the CCO and that is probably the last time most of us will ever be in a friction rig.

When I took my CCO's I did good on everything except tower crane practical and I failed LBC written first time.

gostr8r

Occupation
catkicker, if you learn friction and get good at it it's a great way to do good hook work, because of the instant sensory feed back from their clutches and brakes. The down side is the wear and tear on your hearing and knees. I understand the difficulty on the T/C Practical, because of the looking downward view point makes the hook look like it right over the target, when you're really short of it. It takes some getting used to and adjusting your perception of when you think the hook and trolley is over a target. That, plus the torque delay in the upper tower sections takes some time to bond with too.

catkicker

Occupation
Crane Operator
Well I'm fortunate that I have never regretted not operating friction rigs. Pretty much all HYD. on the jobs I'm on. Finally building wind farms in Ohio:D

Donns

Occupation
Self employed Dragline consultant and Safety train
gostr8r
Hey guy, you work for Alan? Is Magnum (Mike) still working safety there? Say hi to my friend JR.

gostr8r

Occupation
I've heard the Magnum name.

We had Craig Baker for several years, then in the last 6 years or so, it's been Mike Smith. Is THAT the Mike you refer too? It sounds like him, and he does have a history in draglines and even owns a small one at home if I remember correctly. I'll pass on the hello. I saw him at one of our big company safety meetings 2 nights ago and he was doing fine.
gostr8r
Hey guy, you work for Alan? Is Magnum (Mike) still working safety there? Say hi to my friend JR.

Donns

Occupation
gostr8r

Mr. Smith is the guy, we worked together a lot of years ago at FCS at Brooksville.
I lost touch with him while I was in the middle east a while back.

I got my June issue of International Cranes and Specialized Transportation magazine yesterday. It has a list of the top 123 Crane owning companys in the world. You guys are listed and it shows your largest crane as a Manitowoc 18000???? I tought you guys purchased a new 31000 a couple of years or so ago??

gostr8r

Occupation
We've been on that list before, but in the top 50 worldwide, and the reason the 18's are listed as our largest rigs is likely that we STILL haven't even taken delivery on our 31000, which was bought about 2 years ago, then built, and is now STILL on the test pad, in Luffer now, at the factory. I should be going up there this coming week to make some lifts with it. So maybe that list only includes rigs in the inventory being rented as of press time. JMO. Here's the link showing our new 31,000 from the big 5.5 million lb test lift, back into the assembly stage as it was when I was at the factory the last time in '09. Check it out Donns, you'll like the pics. http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums/y355/gostr8r/Our Manitowoc 31000 making a 5500000 pound lift/

Last edited:

Donns

Occupation
Rental company list

I see they have you guys listed at position 775 for 2011 (down fron 68 in 2010) They also have Beyel listed at 78 - do they have that many Cranes? I don't even see Ray Anthony listed. I never take much stock in these reports there are a few foreign companies that I have dealt with that are up there in the top but not even mentioned in the article. Maybe they don't want to be listed who knows.
Thanks for that link. Mike Smith sent me some pictures of it a long time ago as well. I imagine that will be a pleasure to operate. I've run some big floaters years ago in the North Sea but never anything on land nearly that big. I was involved with moving that Manitowoc 7000 series back to Texas from Scotland about 10 years ago. She was just big and ugly, not a particular heavy lifter as compared to today's lineup.

Donns

Occupation
Sorry I hit one to many 7s when I typed that, should be position 75 - old fingers tend to do things on their own.

gostr8r

Occupation
75 sounds better! Whew!!

Beyel Bro's do have a bunch of stuff and is still buying bigger rigs now. I have several friends that run crawlers for them and a couple mechanics there to. They also have a barge department as well, which we don't have. Never wanted to work for them tho, since I'm very happy working for Alan! There's a big investigation going on right now with them, :eek: and we still don't know what's going to come out of it. Yeah, the 7000 wasn't a pretty rig at all in the flier I saw cuz it didn't seem to have any real sheet metal covering the drawworks and slewing ring Maybe it was just out there making test lifts and got the final body treatment afterwards. It still seems like Manitowoc has done a lot like Hyundai and other car brands. Over the years the models have become MUCH better products and far better looking too! JMO tho. I also think I heard Ray Anthony sold or just out of business as of last year.
Sorry I hit one to many 7s when I typed that, should be position 75 - old fingers tend to do things on their own.

Donns

Occupation
Manitowoc Sheetmetal

You know who made some really nice looking cabs and house replacements for Manitowoc was Lampson in their shop up in Washington. When I was with F&M MAFCO a few years ago we had a 4100 Ringer on a Barge that we brought back from the Beruit Airport job in Lebanon. It was really eaten up from the saltwater exposure. I bought almost a complete house from them and had it delivered in 7 days. (they had it ready for another crane but let me have it). I think I heard once that they were redoing houses on a lot of old 4100s n Australia a while back. The 7000 was 1 of 2 that they made and both were exported without being certified to US standards, as far as I understood. When we brought that one back we had to get it certified to US standards so McDermot could use it in their yard in Texas. Quite a job that was. All the newer Manitowocs are pretty nice looking machines. By the way, have you ever run into Jimmy Karus at Manitowoc? He used to be in their service department but maybe has retired by now, also Ron Schumaker used to run their rebuild facility in Little Rock. I've lost touch with about everyone lately.

gostr8r

Occupation
Yes I like the Lampson stuff! I had the great pleasure of meeting Neil Lampson himself in '96, at the Con Expo in Las Vegas, just before he passed away. The NCCCO was getting started as a testing criteria around the nation back then. He told me the story of how he couldn't sleep and would think, in bed at night, about a way to make the basic crane weight itself work as c/w, not just the rear chunks of c/w's. Then he sent a primitive looking pencil sketch to his engineers in the middle of the night and asked if what he invisioned could be built, and if so, could it possibly work. They said 'Yes in theory' to both and he said use one of our 3900's and build me one. They then were able to get the little 100 ton rig to pick and carry 400 tons, and so the Transi-lift prototype was born and the rest was history. Hey Donns, as an F&M MAFCO employee and world traveler, did you ever get any time around the Kulakoomba, I think that was what it was called? The unique and rare electric 1400 American Steel Erector rig that had an 8 o/r beam pedastal lower. The fully dressed out rig was rail mounted and moved down the tracks on a traveling bogie system. It eventually was set up for Wellstream by F&M MAFCO at the Port on a custom built concrete pad in Panama City Beach? Yes, the one that had 620' of Luffer and could still pick 120,000#. It was a urban legend for years, till it was rediscovered, pickled and crated in a remote jungle deep in South Africa? I was going to run it full time in our Florida panhandle, but the war and some questionable politics involving Haliburton brought my chances down to zero. They ultimately used an F&M MAFCO operator, on an on-call basis as needed, so my full time op' position went down the tube. I wouldn't be surprised if you were involved in that beast too.

Last edited: