• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Yeah, the first ever broken easy-out in a broken bolt

towbar

Occupation
retired
I think I could say my name is Napoleon and more people would believe me :)

1.png

THAT is the crank hub on which I did my number to a 10mm-1mmx40mm (flywheel) bolt. The easy-out is broken flush, what remains of both the bolt and the easy-out are stuck real hard. Is this a candidate for an oversize bore with some sort of hole cutter and an insert?

Old Doug

If it was mine, I'd tig weld a handle on the easy out and remove it. Then I'd tig weld a handle or nut on the broken bolt and then back it out. Yes, I've had to sleeve and redrill/tap some holes, but its very unusual.
I have done that before and it worked. I remove a lot of broken bolts from propane tanks. I was called to work on one the other day they had broken a easy out off in it i used a Dremel with a Diamond bit . The bolt was a 1/4 and it ground through the easy out and i ground almost through the bolt making it easy to remove.

crane operator

I was called to work on one the other day they had broken a easy out off in it i used a Dremel with a Diamond bit . The bolt was a 1/4 and it ground through the easy out and i ground almost through the bolt making it easy to remove.
I've never thought of the dremel and diamond bit. I'll try that one sometime. Thanks Doug.

To the original post, I would be welding a oversize washer, then weld a nut to the washer, I don't tig, so I would be MIG welding it.

I rarely try the easy outs, and almost exclusively weld washer and nut to stuck/broken off bolts.

Old Doug

I dont know why but i have had better luck drilling a hole in a piece of cold rolled steel and using it as the washer? I have done this several times before were i used a washer and the weld didnt hold but for some reason welding on a piece of steel would. I used 1/4 steel is it the thickness or something to do with the carbon in the steel?

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I find the cat hardened washers work quite well and the small unichrome welding rods.
I very seldom use easy outs. Just weld to the bolt even if it’s broken off recessed in a ways.

towbar

Occupation
retired
I don't even have a welder anymore and I never done TIG, but I could get one and learn it. What scares me is the possibility of welding the bolt-remains to the hub because if that's the end result then I'm neck deep into something even more brown than the current predicament.

Do these diamond(-surfaced) bits last enought to bore 1/4" deep or should I buy a box of them? I'm tempted to try the diamond bit method with a flat ended solid cylinder boring bit (IF I can find the right one!) to bore deep enough to grind down the easy-out enough to loosen it. The easy-out had gone into a 5mm hole that I had drilled all the way through (about a good inch). I would try to get back to that point as a 1st attempt.

The problem with tryingto weld the easy-out is that it has very little cros-section left to weld to. Even if I get on top of TIG welding that may not be enough shear strength to break it loose.

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
I've had pretty good success with die grinding a centering hole and drilling out using carbide masonry bits. So far it's worked on easy-outs, thread chasers and zerks. The bits are only good for one use before eventually one of the carbide flats breaks off, but cheap enough to have a bunch of spares.

towbar

Occupation
retired
I have done that before and it worked. I remove a lot of broken bolts from propane tanks. I was called to work on one the other day they had broken a easy out off in it i used a Dremel with a Diamond bit . The bolt was a 1/4 and it ground through the easy out and i ground almost through the bolt making it easy to remove.
This bolt is a hardened 10mm job but it drilled fairly well with a titanium dipped bit, initially I drilled a 5mm hole into it so it offers a little more room than a 1/4" one. I could try the TIG method OR a diamond bit in a dremel or an air gun. Once I get the easy-out out it becomes another task.

56wrench

I would use the diamond coated bit in a dremel. It takes a while but there’s less chance of creating a bigger problem. I’ve used that method for broken tap removal

Delmer

I'd use a fine cutting torch and heat that center hole up till it sparks and hold it there just long enough to spark all the way through, don't hit the oxygen just let the flame oxidize the easy out and part of the bolt. then let it cool and see if it turns out. Or weld a nut on to it after heating.

towbar

Occupation
retired
I wouldn't dare try the torch bit, this is an already installed and torqued up bottom end in an engine. This morning I started working it with 5mm carbide (masonary) bits in an impact drill and got down to a depth of about 7/16-1/2" before both bits I had on hand gave up their edge. I'm getting some new bits and might try diamond coated bits on the next opportunity to get some. Like 56wrench says I definietly don't want a bigger problem than what I already have. One problem is that living out in the sticks here, I can't just go out and buy ANYTHING the same day :-(

heymccall

Having encountered this many, many times, I can't recommend enough the ESAB All State Stud plus welding rods on a stick welder.
Done 5.3s chevy, 460s in Econolines, 3116, 3176, c15, and on and on.

As long as your first contact touches the bolt (or easy out) you're golden. In recessed holes the stage coats the bore threads.

Dab, wait until slag pops off, repeat, repeat, until out enough to 7018 a nut on there.

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
This morning I started working it with 5mm carbide (masonary) bits in an impact drill and got down to a depth of about 7/16-1/2" before both bits I had on hand gave up their edge.
That's where the problem is, don't impact. Just need to run them slow in a drill and spray lube.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I'd use a fine cutting torch and heat that center hole up till it sparks and hold it there just long enough to spark all the way through, don't hit the oxygen just let the flame oxidize the easy out and part of the bolt. then let it cool and see if it turns out. Or weld a nut on to it after heating.

A welding tip can work really well for that also.

Delmer

Yes, a welding tip would work, just adjust it to oxidizing so the metal starts sparking and heating on it's own, then you don't have an oxygen lever to hit either. Try it on scrap first. Wrap the rest of the work with wet washcloths and AL, not sure I'd do it on a crank in an engine or not, have to see how much room there was.

Masonry bits wear away the bolt slowly, I don't know if they'll drill and easy out or not. Definitely not with impact. You can sharpen them on a grinder, just very lightly touch the tip to the wheel a bit at a time and pull back for a split second with each light touch. For drilling steel, sharpen it much sharper than it was for masonry, but not as sharp as a HSS drill bit.

colson04

@Delmer method works. Heating the easy out and letting it cool takes the temper out of the steel, allowing it to be easily cut by whatever method you want (drill, die grinder, dremel, etc). As for concerns about heat, get a mineral wool blanket (or multiple) from a plumbing supply house, hardware store, Home Depot, etc. Plumbers use them for soldering in interior spaces to keep adjacent materials from catching fire and they work extremely well. If I can solder inside a 3 ½" deep wall cavity and not catch the adjacent wall on fire, nor scorch it, you won't heat any metal beyond engine operating temp.

When I did it, after heating, the easy out popped right loose and I didn't have to drill it. Then I took a die grinder and thinned down the broken bolt to almost nothing without damaging parent threads. Worked well, though tedious.

Order some carbide die grinder bits of Amazon, even if it means waiting a couple days. They work well and even the Chinese ones will hold up surprisingly well over a long period of time. I bought a cheap set 2 years ago, use them monthly, still haven't ruined one yet.

towbar

Occupation
retired
Thanks for ALL the nice wisdom, too many to thank individually right now. I'll try a how-goes-it up to this point:

I found an old dremel grinder bit about 5mm with a square end and that allowed me to recenter the bore as it was up to that point. Two carbide bits I had bought locally were broken by now and THAT store has no more so I went out and bought a dozen more carbide masonry drill bits at an otherwise reliable source known here as Canadian-Tire but they ALL ended up as total duds. They just don't start the bite, impact no impact, lube no lube. I've ordered diamond tip bore bits from Amazon and will now just have to wait it out. I have a re-centered hole at to this point, I think I haven't touched the threads yet, and I don't wanna push my luck. It's a poor picture but the center depression is about 2mm diameter, that's all the new bits gave. The diamond coated bits should be here just before Christmas.

recentered.jpg