• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Yale air pneumatic forklift tires going flat

jaycrow

I bought a used Yale GP060VX, serial# D875V03793N, from an authorized Yale dealer in 2020. It had solid tires and I got them to replace those with air filled pneumatics which are needed on our gravel lot with a slight slope. Since then, I had 5 flat tires and all on different wheels. The problem is that the tube and flap are protruding through the valve stem slot and overtime the tube and flap fail at this point. Attached are a couple of pictures of the valve stem slot and you can see the flap cracking from being pinched into the slot. Here is the sales person's response :"Unfortunately, I don't have any good news as far as the tires go. I have sent these tire pics to multiple people at the tire company we use as well as our service dept and none of them see any reason why these tires are going flat. So, the only recommendation I have is for you to purchase one spare tire and rim for the drive and the steer. This way when/if you get a flat you can change it and then we can bring the flat tire back and repaired."
He thinks they are the same type rims and I am worried if I go this route, I'll be fixing 6 tires instead of 4. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you!IMG_1534.JPG

IceHole

I used that style on my forklift and had to forgo the nut as the wheel was too thick for it to be able to thread

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
I used that style on my forklift and had to forgo the nut as the wheel was too thick for it to be able to thread
Possible. Nut should come up thru the slot. In pic it appears the rim slot is rather wide. I just wonder how wide it is measured. I would measure it, then go seeking various tubes until I found a fit or one I could "alter" and use with the nut resting within the slot.
Another observation. It appears in the pic the stem is very close to the end of slot. What if tube was removed and reversed, getting the stem more centered.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
You can purchase tubes with a variety of stem positions, angles, and shapes. You have the wrong stems fitted for those rims.
The stem should end up central in the hole in the rim when inflated. The current stem is out of line with the hole, it appears it's sitting on the inner edge of the valve hole.
See a good industrial tire dealer, someone who knows what's required, and what is available.

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
Washer and nut normally go on outside of wheel and thread down
On some setups, like some Bobcats. Rim is much thinner. and the stem is used on tubeless usually.
For many years, the heavy trucks used tubes with the oblong metal piece, all inside. It kept the area surrounding the slot from bulging outward in the slot.