• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

working under skid steer safely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad Orr

This is my first time owning a skid steer (2006 t190) and wanted to know what is the safest way to work under such a heavy piece of equipment. I am trying to see if my fuel leak is in the tank or maybe the plug is leaking or gone, thanks.

Tags

Try running the machine up onto 6x6 or 8x8 "railroad ties" I do that with my track skid steer and it gives lots of room to move around under it and it won't fall on top of you.....

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Not familiar with the T190, but When working on the 1845C Case at the quarry I often would use the bucket in the full dump position then lower the lift arms to rock the machine up in the front.

NO DO NOT get under it like that!!

Then I would slide a block of hard wood just inside the tires on each side that was as tall as it could be( about 8 to 10 inches square) right about at the rear axle and went all the way to the front axle. One on each side. Then raise the bucket up and machine would rock forwards resting on the two blocks.

Nice and solid and now I could remove all four wheels and do what ever work was needed.

Main thing is to have it blocked up like your life depended on it because IT DOES!

The newest Bobcat I worked on was the 743 we had at the quarry. That machine had a tilt cab that when tilted up would give you access to the plastic fuel tank behind the seat. And if you needed to work on pumps and control valve lines it was relatively easy to slide the engine out the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.