• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Won't Shut off!

IdleUp

Went to shut off my D5G the other day and she just kept idling - I had to unscrew the idle stop to get her to quit. Is it the shut off solenoid mounted on the pump that's not working?

superwrench0166

Could be blown fuse. Low voltage. Bad key Switch. Not sure about yours some have a shut off module. Usually there is a manual Push Button on Fuel system to shut it off when that happens.

special tool

Went to shut off my D5G the other day and she just kept idling - I had to unscrew the idle stop to get her to quit. Is it the shut off solenoid mounted on the pump that's not working?

You know what that probably is, if it happened all at once...
The shutoff arm from the solenoid teminates with a rod end.
Sometimes the rod end is secured with a nut, which will vibrate loose and fall off.;)

nzpatch

Gee you are having sum bad luck with your cat gear at the mo!! these things seem like they shouldnt start to happen for sum years yet with the age of your gear .bad luck always seem to go in runs .good luck for a ezy fix.

RonL

Had the same problem with my D3G. Seems to be a common problem. I was told that it was a solenoid. A buddy of mine talked to a Cat mechanic who told him he had replaced a number of these solenoids. Went to the cat dealership and told them that I needed the solenoid that shuts down the machine. The parts person immediately knew what part I needed. It was shipped overnight. $370 later I have the solenoid waiting to be installed.
When the machine would not shut down we shut off the ball valve that feeds the fuel filter. ( The red lever next to the fuel filter on the right side door ) The machine will eventually die when the fuel runs down. If you turn the lever back and pump the primer pump on top of the fuel filter you will reprime the system so it will start.
All of this is a pain in the ass for a machine that I bought new and have not as yet put that many hours on.

RonL