• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Will tracks(OTT) solve this problem?

TALLRICK

I have always wondered what steel tracks would do. If I ever find a good deal on a set around here I will give them a try on my 863 as well.

HillBoy

When it comes to OTT, I like the McLaren Protrac series. They have both the bar type and tracks with steel or rubber plates for even better floatation. They have 3 tracks to choose from to best fit your needs and pocket. We got the McLaren OTT with rubber plates, though, because we work on road sometimes and they leave no damage. I agree with the others that the OTT makes one hell of a difference, especially when talking about the higher quality OTTs.

Here is Protrac video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVC-qHXPBC8

I found some used McLaren OTTs here at a much better price:http://www.radmeister.com/t-on-sale-products.aspx

drwroto

OTT tracks need a couple inches of slack. I have used them is muskeg and find the floatation is excellent. You can purchase pads to bolt into the spaces, but i don't find it necessary.
If your bucket is empty, you will have better luck backing up a hill. If the bucket is full, then drive forward up the hill.

Swamp rat

If you havent found a set of tracks yet Greensouth Equipment in Carnsville Ga. on I- 85 had a used set . ask for mike or kevin 706-384-5555.

Komatsu 150

Our Bobcat dealer used have a set of steel tracks for rent at $50.00 a day, a bargain. I did rent them occasionally when we had a wet job or needed to fill a garage with fine sand. They made a huge difference. I never bought a set because we used to run our Bobcat well over a thousand hours a year and even the dealer said they would only last 1300 to 1500 hours. It was cheaper just to rent instead of owning a set to put on occasionally.

hjetty

ott almost same situation

new to the whole forum thing. recently bought a tree saw. running it on a 268b getting along pretty well. cut a job in the sand hills this weekend. did not get stuck but sure could use some more traction. of course looking to keep cost down. saw a set of tracks with the cleates welded to 7/16 chain the looked really simple and affordable easy on and easy off.

frankenstein

I have tracks on my 863 and they make my machine actually into a useable machine...without tracks skidsteers are useless off of compact ground. I love tracks!!!!

HillBoy

..... saw a set of tracks with the cleates welded to 7/16 chain the looked really simple and affordable easy on and easy off.

I'm not sure if these are the same tracks you're looking at, but on some of the tracks with chains, the chain can stretch after every few hours of use and needs constant adjusting. There are many affordable tracks out there that use metal links instead of chain and that will work better.

buckfever

i have a set of grousers for my ls 180. they have 3000 hours on them and there still good. best part is you can rebuild these tracks for $500. they do shred soft ground. be carefull when side cutting into piles of dirt. sometimes rocks get inside the tracks and can bend a rim or worse brake an axel. the only problem i have with them is if the tracks get a little to losse the tires spin inside.

Odyknuck

I am looking at buying a set of tracks for my 940e in lieu of new tires to replace my worn out tires. I have read that worn tires will spin easly in the tracks. I really do not want to have to buy tracks and new tires too. So whats the real verdict here. Do i also need new rubber too?

HillBoy

I guess it all depends on what OTT you will get. We got McLaren's steel tracks with rubber pads bolted to them and we kept the old tires. I have not heard of any of our guys who run the machine about slippage. Now, if you get some of the lighter OTTs out there, there may be an issue... don't know for sure.

Odyknuck

It also appears I would need wheel spacers to get the clearence for the tracks. May also need a boom stop and that part I do not like as it will effect the bucket action.