• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Why!?!?!

excav8r

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Some people are just xxxxxxxx. :mad:

I got to work yesterday morning on our subdivision job to see that over the weekend someone smashed the windows out of one of the Case excavators and the Cat D5LGP dozer. :eek:

Guessing it was kids as there were beer cans found around the machines.

They also tore the hell outta the tripod for the laser. I guess we were somewhat lucky though as they left the backhoe, my Case hoe and all the packers alone even though they were all parked somewhat close together.

Just sucks now because on the weekends we now have to walk all the machines about 1000' back to the road and block it off with the machines.:Banghead

I guess the police were called but I doubt they can or will do anything. They said they will keep an eye out for our stuff on weekends.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee-online

That sucks.

I fixed a vandalized 963c. Kids smashed all the windows, gages, switches and threw big rocks at it.
There is no need and i hope they get caught and have to face the consequences.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
The D5G i just bought is open canopy for that exact reason. After all the glass is punched out once, you never want to own glass again!

akroadrunner

Occupation
Gravel Pit/ Trucking/Owner
Vandelism just never makes sense. Trail timer cameras might help catch the punks. Then you can bill the loser parents.

oarwhat

My snowplow equipment was getting vandalized on and off at a mall. Painted, the odd broken window etc. Then they broke into my trailer (left one small window without bars on it :Banghead) Made no sense they didn't take anything just started a fire outside and must have sat there for hours. Of course mall security never saw them. I put bars on the window and they still try to break in. I keep finding condoms and tissues every week the little buggers are trying to use the trailer for a hotel!!! Sure enough one day the security guard catches a 13 and 14 year old going at it in the woods on a mattress.
No problems for a long time then they broke 4 windows, pulled out wires, ripped out outlets etc. all pretty violent stuff. Must have been there for an hour on a bright sunny Sunday afternoon, tracks all over in the snow. (where's security????) Well I followed the tracks to a house with two boys looking out! Called the sheriff and long story short the parents made good!! These boys where 10 years old!! What's up with Young kids today.

Diesel gal

Occupation
Vice President of BeCarbCompliant
Sad story for sure. It seems that the respect and hard work ethic is lost on the youth.Sad sad sad!

Mack185

We had a about 7 trucks have the drivers side windows busted out and the CB's stolen about 5 years ago. The police came out and did a report but acted as if we were bothering them, they could care less.

Probably meth heads. Who other then a geeked up redneck methhead would steal CB's?

Tiny

I know it don't Sound right but my boss said as long as we are parked in our yard do not lock the trucks up , cheaper to buy the CB than fix all the damage

excav8r

Occupation
Equipment Operator
This happened on the #2 highway just east of iroquois.

Spent most of my day yesterday going to brissons and toromont to get new windows.

At least they did not tamper with the fuel or the engine.

Last edited:

chevota84

I know it don't Sound right but my boss said as long as we are parked in our yard do not lock the trucks up , cheaper to buy the CB than fix all the damage

I do the same with my pickup. Id rather they open the door to steal my $20 stereo instead of busting a $100+ window to steal it. I can drive without a stereo, but its pretty miserable to drive in the winter without a window.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

sprknranger

I was running a pushcat on a job in Santa Clarita CA right up against the Santa Clara river and the developer of the project was constantly fighting with environmentalists. Well the developer had just acquired permits to place a soil cement barrier along the rivers edge that the environmentalists were fighting to stop, and then "coincidentally" a week later we went to work and about an hour after startup, scrapers and dozers started dropping like flies. Turns out that "someone" came out to our jobsite over the long weekend (I think it was memorial day weekend) and put dirt in the fuel tanks, hydro tanks, and oil pans of every piece of equipment on site. That included about 35 scrapers, 9 dozers, 2 loaders, and an array of support equipment. We were down for a week and a half while the mechanics went through every piece and cleaned everything out. No one ever knew who exactly did the crime, but just about everyone had a good idea.

TrannieGuy

Kids just don't have any respect. They think something like this is a victim-less crime. Too bad they will probably never be caught...

SE contractor

I can think of several sitations weve had happen over the years, 3 years ago we had someone take and dig a hole with a 950 cat laoder, drive our new D5G down in the hole cover it back up take the compactor roll it in and bury the compactor with only a portion of the rops sticking out and park the 950 on top of it!

forestroad

Arrived on jobsite early one Monday morning following local high schools senior prom weekend and found porta poty burnt to the ground as well as one of my Volvo A30's missing??? Called the office to see if missing A30 had mistakinly been moved to another job which it was not, so next call was to county sherrif. After an exhausting 10 hr search by sherrifs dept [yea right] did a little searching of my own on a county road in the woods behind the jobsite and came across some very obvious signs of large rubber tired off road vehicle activity. Thankfully A30 was found idleing quietly approximately 50ft down an embankment. Overall intact except for some shattered glass. Had the thief managed to continue another 75ft the A30 would have come to rest in some poor homeowners backyard!! Damage caused to local property was extensive to say the least, strangely there were numourous reports by locals of trespassing and ORV activity in the area on the Friday night preceding my Monday morning discovery?????? Worst part of this incident was the fact that whoever did this would have to have access to Volvo masterkey!!! as both of mine were still in center console of my pickup and one was found on the machine.

More recently, a friend had rented a truck, trailer and backhoe from Hertz. The whole combination was stolen from the jobsite leaving a similar unit of his own untouched. Funny part is a couple of hours after this was discovered one of the Hertz sales reps was returning to the rental yard and spotted the entire combination parked at a rather large motel which is located directly accross 8 lanes of freeway from the rental yard. Both purpetrators must have smoked some really good crack as they seemed to have failed to notice that HERTZ was obviously plastered all over the equipment they had stolen because they had to have seen the 8 x 12 fully functional yellow and black sign that clearly lights up the entire freeway interchange as they pulled into the motel parking lot and checked in at 3AM.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
We had very little vandalism at work. One job I did work on we had a new Miller welder we picked up each night with a 30 ton RT crane. I was running the crane. I shut it off on night with the welder about 10 feet off the deck. SOme kids thought about stealing it and drove past out barrier one night. Backed under the welder and had a sawzall cut the cable. It killed the welder, Toyota under it, we kept the sawzall for evidence. Dumb cop came by and picked it up by the handle smudging the prints. We kept the the truck for evidence but hte law never really helped. I called in a favor of about 40 yards of Topsoil to a deputy and got the plates run. Got them by the hort hairs then.

I had a friend with ome vandal problems and we put a steel box in the cab like a water box. It had a trail cam in it. Caught several vandals that way.

At work before we got the landfill fenced in we had 4 wheelers each weekend. Tearing up slopes and the like. We had the fence built and then we had the lights shot out of our parts scraper with a .22. The only other thing we had done was I had some of our break area furniture used at the lake on site as a picnic area then chunked into the lake. THen a deer hunter we turned down for hunting rights came in and shot one of our old Landfill dogs.