• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Why does Caterpillar use high tracks?

MikeyJP1980

Occupation
General Contractor, Commercial, Residential, and
I have always been curious and never gotten a solid answer. I’m just wondering why caterpillar is the only company that uses the high track machines and what are the pros and cons.

lantraxco

When everybody is selling pretty well the exact same product, you have to build something different and then tell the customers forcefully and repeatedly that it's better. My opinion.

There are some advantages in terms of being able to service the transmission and finals, and some gains in efficiency in terms of the power flow being all in the same plane as the engine crankshaft. What you gain though, I think you lose in terms of added weight, more moving undercarriage parts, track stress and wear. I hear that any day now CAT will announce they have an undercarriage that will hold up well for use on the high drive system.

Huntoon

Occupation
Sales Engineer. I design OEM tracked undercarriage
Also, the chain is in tension at a longer length which accelerates chain and component wear. The rear idlers are more prone to wear and failure as a result of it wrapping the idler as if in reverse, but it's worse since dozers do their work in forward motion. So you're sending all that horsepower around the rear idler.
chain wear track tension.jpg

mestizo

When everybody is selling pretty well the exact same product, you have to build something different and then tell the customers forcefully and repeatedly that it's better. My opinion.

So true, hahaha.

I do think its a little easier to shovel mud out of a high track machine.

CAT's small Dozers and the D7E went oval track. I wonder if the D6T+ will follow at some point. Maybe if they ever make an electric dozer in another size?

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
I noticed that on a sidehill application the C.G. of the whole machine is higher up, curious to get some
real world operator feed back if they are less stable.

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
There has to be some good reasons and benefits to it other wise why do it.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
High tracks will not back up a slope anywhere close to what an oval will.

Please explain why. In my mind the tractable surface should be the same, only pulling the track from a different spot. My old mind needs help figuring out the difference. I am assuming you mean straight up, not a sidehill.

Dickjr.

I have operated both , and to me a high track seems less stable on steep ground. And like Shimmy said when backing up steep grades they seem to want to raise the back half of the tracks off the ground and spin. I do think the rails , pads and bushings last longer because there are more of them. One thing some other manufacturers should do is offer a seat that sets at an angle like the CAT.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I think the fore-and-aft balance of a high-track depends to a large extent what's hanging off the back of the chassis. Machines equipped with rippers seem far better balanced than those without. In fact some models even mandate the use of a rear counterweight if no ripper is installed.

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
I have a book on the history of Cat written by a guy who had help from Cat and even covers some experimental stuff that never went into production. It states that Cat went to the high drive to reduce final drive damage and to get the sprocket out of the dirt.

Rick

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
One thing I appreciate on the high tracks is a smoother ride in shot rock w/ those oscillating track rollers. Any track type tractor will back up a steeper slope w/ a ripper especially w/ U-dozer.
Mike

Foozzer

I wonder if the final drives of a high track has more leverage over the track its trying to get to move ,,verses on oval track design,,,mnnnn

movindirt

I had heard Cat had pattened the High Track design, thats why no one has made one.... until recently when the patten ran out. Liebherr built a high track machine. liebherr high track.jpg

movindirt

Simon: I posted a picture of a brochure for one that I found online. Looks almost identical to a D10 undercarriage.

Last edited:

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
With the whole undercarriage able to oscillate and conform to the ground seems traction should be better too.