• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who uses a skid steer only at home?

TALLRICK

I have found my old M610 to be the best garden tractor. Is there anyone else out there who uses a skid loader for non-commercial use only? It sure seems like a nice way for an old skid steer to retire and get more out of its life. There comes a time when a machine can no longer be reliable enough to earn money out on the jobsite, but a valuable helper around the yard.

itsgottobegreen

I guess thats what you could call my m600. Its suppost to be my shop only machine. But my grandfather has it and won't give it back. He really needs it more than I do because of his back.

hilbile

Occupation
Manual labor
all of the machines we have owned were for our personal use. starting with a used M700 bobcat, now our current 743. which is used for plowin snow and rippin up the garden, along with everything else u can think of, like today we are useing it to put shingles up on our neighbors roof. our other two, another 743 and a M610 were sold after we got them fixed and running

Coastal

Well, mine does both. I couldnt imagine not having bobcats and excavators around the house. Today im doing a garbage run, so i need to load up my roll off with junk using my excavator. I guess thats the perks of owning stuff. :D

johnstra

I'll be using mine at home only. It will be for clearing snow. Now if I can just figure out which one to get.
-john

TALLRICK

I'll be using mine at home only. It will be for clearing snow. Now if I can just figure out which one to get.
-john

The ones we get seem to be the ones that we find. Affordable, not too much to get going and simple is always a plus! Still trying to figure out that concept of snow!

StPat

Hi all, new guy here. I bought a 753 Bobcat 5 years ago and took it up to Alaska to use around my son and I's portable sawmill. That has to be one of the best pieces of machinery I have ever had. I'd like to get another one to keep on my place in NM, have a small pecan orchard and am always wanting tio move stuff. Was wondering if anyone has a cross refrence from the old model numbers (743, 753 863 etc) to the new numbers? Most of the machines I see are the newer ones and I don't what the hell I'm looking at. Great forum, we're looking to buy a Hitachi D60 excavator and a Komatsu 20 or 21 dozer for use in Alaska. Any coments or suggestions are welcome.
Cheers
Patrick

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF StPat! :drinkup

7775deere

We use our bobcat around the farm all the time, its pretty handy to have, dont always have to get the tractor for small loader work.

Cowboy

I use my Gehl 4615 all the time around the farm. We use it for doing everything from cleaning stalls to hanging deer. Most usefull tool around in my book. Don't know what I would do without it.

gypsycatfish

I just bought a bobcat 873 and as soon as I figure out why it seems to not get fuel I plan to put it to use building my house.

Countryboy

Occupation
Welcome to HEF gypsycatfish! :drinkup

rick342

Newbie!! Bobcat 610

Hi guys, I just found this forum and very glad I did. I use my 610 at home only and have owned it for abut 15 years. It has a Wisconsin air cooled engine and runs great. But recently, after running for about a half hour or so it will just shut off, and will not restart for about 3 min. this will continue all day!! But always will restart after the 3 min. (rest)??? any ideas??
Thanks so much...........Rick:Banghead

Countryboy

Occupation
Welcome to HEF rick342! :drinkup

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
What type of ignition does it have, magneto or coil? It could be the coil overheating if you have one.

Another possibility is vapor lock, or gas boiling in the line. Does the gas line pass close to the exhaust anywhere?

There could also be an obstruction in the fuel line somewhere or in the fuel filter.

Do you have any more details on what's happening when it shuts down? Does it slowly sputter to a stop or shut off like with the key?

jhill

My JD skidsteer has several pressure sensors that are tied into the fuel cut off switch. These are hydraulic feed pressure, system pressure and others.
If they sense low pressure they shut off the fuel to prevent system damage. Recently 1 went bad causing the machine to shut down after a couple minutes running. Could you have something like this?.

Jerry

rick342

Thanks for quick response guys.. It does have a coil, The fuel lines are not too close to the exhaust, and when it shuts off its like to turn the key off, no sputter at all...This only happens after the machine has been operating for 1/2 to 1 hr, and then will continue to do it. The level of gas in the tank makes no difference... Thanks again...Rick:beatsme

TALLRICK

I also have an M-610. Do you have the Wisconsin engine? I had the same "shut down" issue and it was due to a faulty ballast resistor. If you use a coil with an external resistor make sure it is good. Otherwise it heats up and cuts out, or the resistor is shorted and the coil overheats. The points also fail quickly in such a configuration. When it shuts down pull the coil wire and crank to check for spark.

rick342

Great idea, I'll check that out soon.. Yes it is a Wisconsin gas engine, Where will I find the resistor?? Thanks.....Rick:notworthy

TALLRICK

The electrical system is pretty simple, all power comes from the positive battery cable connected to the starter. A main resistor is located inside the gauge pod on the right side as you sit in the seat. A bundle of wires goes from there to the mechanical voltage regulator. A plug separates the engine area harness from the gauge pod area. Some of the later models to have an engine oil switch that can shut down the engine upon lack of oil pressure, but that is a bit more unusual. Do you have a manual?