• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who is seeing youth entering our world?

Welder Dave

Maybe some guys don't want their kids coming in and ruining their reputation? A lot places don't hire relatives as well. I think it depends on the individual. Some kids are great workers and keen to learn while others are pretty much useless.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I don't agree with having people working directly under their relatives. Our service manager's son is an apprentice at the shop and he's definitely got a big head because of that fact.

Welder Dave

A lot places can have relatives working as long as it's in a separate area of the company. There are few relatives that would be great working together. My dad used to call the sons SOB's.. son's of the boss. Even working with brothers that have been at a place a long time can be frustrating.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
We have 2.. Owners brother & shop foremans son.. The brother was put in a management position by fireing the former manager.. The brother has been FIRED from EVERY mechanic shop in town.. Biggest, most useless POS that walked the planet..
The foremans son is one of the 20y/o.. worthless & should have been fired months ago.. but then daddy would have to take care of him.. & THAT aint gonna happen.. so make the company & the rest of us pay for it.. THATS BS in my opinion..
The Dad & son got into a shouting match one day.. the kid told his dad, "I'll slit your f'n throat"!!!!!
1st of all, you don't ever talk to your BOSS like that & 2nd, you dam sure don't talk to your dad like that..
Had it been MY KID.. I would have got up & knocked his friggin block off.!!! But then again, MY KID wouldn't have been working there..
Is anyone getting the picture of what I have to put up w/ on a daily basis??

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
We had a bit of the family action at the power station, with as many as four brothers four to five from the same family male and female or father's/mother's/son's/daughter's or inlaws'. And yes, they all received from others or expected preferential treatment that I would not give. The shake up started a few years back as the older family members retired off, then the management of the plant rotated from OUTSIDE, then the shat hit the fan for most of the klans. Had to make their work show out as good or ended up re-interviewing for the non-union jobs or being 'released'. Takes time but what comes around goes around.

PJ The Kid

Occupation
Mechanic
I worked with my dad at a dealership, as far as working goes, we ended up making a pretty good team, he was in a different spot of work that I was, I was general line/electrical repair, he was engine repair and we had a good dynamic as we have worked together on side jobs for years and communicate without words. As far as that particular dealer, now that I have been let go, word has trickled down the grapevine that the service manager hired me just to fire me to get a point across to my dad and multiple other employees. Best thing that ever happened. They were hoping it would run my dad out and let some new blood in the door, which eventually worked after another 2 years. Dad left that shop after being the first one to start when they opened the doors 26-27 years ago. The old assistant manager left to another shop and has tried to get both me and my dad to work with him there and has gone as far as to send customers from his shop to the dealer my dad is working at, along with sending cash customers to me on the outside.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I would never work with family. Nothing against my relatives but I'd rather not put that kind of strain on a personal relationship.

PJ The Kid

Occupation
Mechanic
In my case it was more of a need and the assistant manager wanted me to work with my dad and eventually replace him when he retired

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I see both side of the coin. I have seen managements kids that had to work twice as hard as everyone else and had to be top hands for sure as they were always being scrutinized. I have also seen others protected by management, never learned anything, and weren't worth a good sh*t. It's really unfair to both types. One is being punished for being related to management and the other is eventually fired after the relative in management moves on and that person has no skills to get another job because he never had to learn.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well when I first started at the quarry dad was just one of the workers, not a boss just a long term employee. So there was not the problem of being he "boss's kid" for me or him. I also was just working as "summer help" while going to college and the second summer I actually spent working at a different quarry a few miles away from the one dad worked at so there was that separation.
A few years latter when the company was starting up the shop that was to be located on the same property as the quarry dad worked at it was being managed by a separate boss than dad's boss so again I was not working directly under dad as my boss.
Actually one of the first welders to work in the shop was the son of the president of the whole company so me just having a dad who worked there and ended up being a working group leader of a separate division was minor in comparison!
I can only guess that the company back in those days was either lucky or had a good bunch of older employees who had thought their kids a good work ethic. As I can't really recall any problems with any of the relatives we had working there, actually some of the ones that moved on to other things were missed after they left!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
You were lucky to fall into that arrangement Hansen, I could only have wished for that. My Grandfathers were long out of the refinery business, my Dad and Uncle both moved on from A&E licensed aircraft mechanic to management jobs, a load of family worked production plants as Olin Matheson (Winchester Western) and Owens Illinois Glass works as machinists, floor maintenance as well floor machine operators. I chose a different path, maybe a little harder, a little harsher but I feel made me a better person in the long run.

catwelder

Occupation
welder
when I turned 18 I tried to go work with my dad because I was struggling to find a job ( its sad I call not having work for a month after you turn 18 struggling) but my dad straight to my face said no to the idea of me working with him. which lead to another job and a lot of more applications for a long time

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
when I turned 18 I tried to go work with my dad because I was struggling to find a job ( its sad I call not having work for a month after you turn 18 struggling) but my dad straight to my face said no to the idea of me working with him. which lead to another job and a lot of more applications for a long time

Well I graduated from high school on June 23,1968 and 7:00AM June 24, 1968 I was at the quarry to start work. This was, as I said a "summer job" for about three years while going to Community College. During school year I did work cleaning tables in cafeteria or McDonalds along with job cleaning the local movie house on weekends. But as soon as school was out I was back in the quarry and when company started the shop I quit job I had at McDonalds and the rest is history! As DMiller says I did "fall into a good thing" even if the shop did not last till I was retired I at least kept my job.

catwelder

Occupation
welder
Well I graduated from high school on June 23,1968 and 7:00AM June 24, 1968 I was at the quarry to start work. This was, as I said a "summer job" for about three years while going to Community College. During school year I did work cleaning tables in cafeteria or McDonalds along with job cleaning the local movie house on weekends. But as soon as school was out I was back in the quarry and when company started the shop I quit job I had at McDonalds and the rest is history! As DMiller says I did "fall into a good thing" even if the shop did not last till I was retired I at least kept my job.
i worked at Walmart for a little then left went to caterpillar as a welder got my college degree then went to a log mill. was basically there money manger not the accountant but actually directed funds to where I thought need to go from hiring to getting new equipment then right back to caterpillar to weld and still there and hopefully will just stay with them till I can retire. honestly I just hate putting in applications and going to interviews its easier to stay at one place then it is to try and find a new job id rather stay in a place where everything I do is clock work vs doing something new where I'm struggle again till it become clock work again then be back at the same place I was before

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Newer entries to the jobs markets around here can't wait for the next opportunity to open up even if at the same money, a grass is greener kind of attitude or looking for that magical I can sit and draw great pay type job. Not much ambition sorry to say. I actually asked one why he was moving somewhere else, his comment was "it looked like easier work".

Truck Shop

Rule number one in our shop- Some jobs are good, some jobs are bad-and that doesn't matter-just get after it.

Three other rules!

Never hire family
Never a husband/wife working under the same roof
Never hire from your church.

Truck Shop

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I'm not too keen on changing jobs much anymore. Same BS, different logo on the door.

I'm really easy to keep me happy at work. Just leave me in the corner to do my job and don't drag me into shop politics or corporate BS. For some reason both those are very hard for companies to understand.

catwelder

Occupation
welder
when i left Walmart it was because I hated that job and would rather be in a ditch digging with a shovel or anything then welding came took it. after a little after that things where going down hill so I jumped ship. went to the log mill and went well for two years then this the third year the business was split between two brothers and they put there kids in charge. that put me in a worse situation to have 6 bosses and all of them telling me 6 things to do so back to caterpillar I went and now I'm still there and planning to stay till I'm fired, die, or caterpillar goes under and everything is lost

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
In my career I can't remember anyone ever coming into my office and saying, I just dropped in to tell you that everything went well today. When someone seen me, it was either "We got a problem," or more often, "You got a problem". Being the boss is not always easy, but I can tell you that it would be impossible if not for the wisdom and the talent of the craftsmen on the crews making tough jobs look easy.