• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who does what?

BKrois

Charter Member
Occupation
Multi purpose
Just wondering what kind of work you diggers do? General Excavating, water/sewer lines, septic, etc? What kind of work do you guys do?

Over the summer i worked for an excavating contractor and we did a lot of different types of work, from digging for foundations to putting drywells in, water lines, removing oil tanks.

BRL

That's a great experience you had there Bryan! When I graduated high school I worked for an elctrical contractor mainly in their shop. Got to use all kinds of cool equipment there, and it made for a fantastic learning experience. Got also work at various construction sites & because I was able to pick up operating various different machines quickly & adeptly, they let me use them a lot. So I got to dig all kinds of holes & trenches, and lift & move all kinds of things. Now I have a landscaping & mainly use TLB's & skid steers for various jobs. And usually get more of my machine time in the winters with snow work, than summer work.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I worked at a large area construction company for a few years, mainly as a truck driver, but we were expected to go wherever we were needed. As a result, I've got limited hours on a number of different types of equipment, from wheel loaders to excavators and dozers, plus rollers.

I owned my own John Deere 310 T/L/B for a number of years, but sold it when I went full time with the landscape business. I replaced it with a Cat 248 skid steer with a number of attachments which is better suited to my needs now.

I do ocassionally have the need for a larger piece of equipment now and then, I usually rent them from a friend with an excavasting business.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
I ve been operating since I was 13 around the house running a hoe. I worked for my brother before he retired and also with dad. At 15 I started running a paddle wheel scrape and a fewe loaders and the ocasional grader. Im 23 now and have my own partime backhoe service do alot of lakeside work with retaining walls.
I worked mostly for my brother during and after highschool and later after college for a company from Missouri. Ithere I was on track loaders got some more excavator experience, and also learned to perate friction cranes. and large hydraulic cranes.
My dads been an operator 49 years and my brother has been one 22 years. They are both excelent operators and teachers.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I do a lot of work for one builder. These days I dig their foundations, sewer and storm sewer laterals, all utility service lines, and backfill and grade around the finished buildings. They've been working with lots developed by contractors for the municipality for the past several years, but before that I did some of their water and sewer mains, and rough grading for streets too. I still end up digging some of the trenches for the main electrical lines. There are some other builders I do pretty much the same stuff for. Other than that I still pour an occasional sidewalk, or build a retaining wall, etc.

Landman

Charter Member
Occupation
Landscape, Excavating, Paving, & Snow Removal Cont
Landscape, Excavation, Paving, Snow Removal, & Tree removal services. We currently run:
4- F350 dumps
2- F250 pickups
1- F350 pickup
2- International single axle dumps
1- Mack Tri-axle dump
1- GMC chipper body truck with a 50' bucket lift
1- JD410 backhoe
1- Cat 416 backhoe
1- JD 450 dozer
1- Komatsu PC150 excavator
and that's just the big stuff!

motrack

Charter Member
Occupation
field service tech
not a digger myself.............do field service for a dealer. we handle Gradell, Kobelco, New Holland, Hundi, and a few others.

Blademan

Charter Member
Occupation
Operating Engineer
Road building , earthmoving , snow removal , landscaping , truck driving , and lots and lots of labouring . Both brother-in-laws and nephew own their own small concrete companies too , so I wheel , place and help finish in my spare time :rolleyes: . Oh , I also spend a conciderable amount of time websurfing and gaming . :D .

Rob

dozerman

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner operator excavation
Being on an island, we do just about anything that men (and women) and iron can accomplish.

Site planning · Wells · Brush control
Roads · Rock walls · Bulldozing
Ponds · Hauling · Excavating
Logging · Drainage · Backhoe
Demolition · Utilities · Land clearing
Gravel · Site prep · Stump removal
Out islands · Low impact equipment · Dumptruck
Trail making · Landscape prep · Septic systems · Top soil ·
Rock hammer · Ditching · Bedrock removal · Mowing

In addition there have been some horse burials, lifted a building off a car that had crashed into it, my share of utility locating service (I could have sworn it was over there), and just alot of fun.

...B

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,527

glsahl

Charter Member
Occupation
equip.mngr/mechanic
I run the shop for an underground contractor,kind of a working equipment manager. We do wet and dry utilities (water/sewer/power/gas),storm drains (flood control),street lights. A little of everything.We've gone from strictly Cat equipment,to Linkbelt excavators,Kawasaki loaders,and Vemeer trenchers.Added six pieces just this year.

shaper

Charter Member
Occupation
Golf Construction & Irrigation
I do mostly Golf Course Renovation work which includes rebuilding of bunkers, tees, greens etc, Also do complete irrigation systems on existing golf courses and newly constructed courses In the last couple years we have become involved in Athletic Field construction. which involves a great deal of laser grading.

Over the years I have done a lot of different things but the laser grading is by far my favorite

Dirtguru

Occupation
Excavation Contractor
I do smaller heavy highway type work on rural federal, state, county, and private roads, once in a while a small subdivision, one or two custom home foundations a year but my primary customers are the USDA Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, private timber companies and the state in that order. Most of my work involves removing small culverts and replacing with huge multi plate units or bridges, forest gravel pit development, road reconstruction/slide repair and road deccomisioning. Road decomisioning is basically removing a road and returning it as closely as possible to it's natural condition. We also do a lot of stream enhancement/fish habitat projects. Additionally as a federal forestry type contractor we are required to provide fire fighting support and equiptment. The last two summers have seen half of my equiptment and crew busy fighting wildfires more than anything else, because of this I have contracts from two years ago that hav'nt even been started.

A Chapman

Last edited:

Oregon Rob

Occupation
Equipment operator
I got to spend a little time on this machine this weekend. We are putting in a barn and a lot of drainage.
It was a lot of fun and was supprising what it can do.

Attachments

• bobcat.jpg
    bobcat.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,392

badranman

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner Cutting Edge Construction Limited
Why is that machine green? That is an insult to the Bobcat name! lol. I have a new Bobcat 430 and it is pretty amazing what these can take on. I love my thumb attachment. Makes short work of alot of stuff. Greasing 30 zerk fittings gets old soon though! Post some action shots if you can, or maybe some more of the project.

Oregon Rob

Occupation
Equipment operator
Here's Day 2. Doesn't look much different, but there is a lot of line in and barried, water and conduit have been run and backfilled as well.

Attachments

• day2.jpg
    day2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 658

brushmaster90

Occupation
independnt tractor operator
I do forestry clearing, right of way clearing, roadside clearing, and general brush hogging.

JMJ_D31

Occupation
Instrument Designer
I got started in the land service business when I bout 24 acres. I wanted to do all the work my self so I bought a 1985 Komatsu D31 dozer, 1995 Komatsu PC50uu-2 track hoe, 1996 Yanmar CR50-2 Track Dump, and a Stump grinder. I figured since I had the equipment I would do some weekend worrier work. I clear land, dig ponds, build roads, and grind stumps.
I love playing in the dirt!!!!!!!

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
See I started in construction as a pan operator or a company that mainly did delevopments moving 300k to 600k cubic yards of dirt per development. Then I bought a trackloader and went to work for a small father / son outfit, and moonlighted with the trackloader. Then I decided to go self employed. Bought a takeuchi 053, then a single axle dump & trailer, then a bulldozer, then I bought a tree care biz from a buddy.

So I do about anything that I think I can make money at with a trackloader, dozer, mini excavator, chipper, dumptruck, bucket/chip dump, or 4x4 diesel pickup. Usually its after the fact excavation / grading around houses, tree trims and removals, storm damage, land clearing, & demos. A sluice pipe here and there, line to this or that, and some dead animal that needs a hole.

coorecat

My bread and butter is mainly in utilities but we do grading and bridge construction, I usually do the pump stations and engineered designed excavations we get because I work on the treatment plant division and have a lot of knowledge in concrete placement
and forming.Here are some pics from my first job as superintendent, I'm the guy on the dozer.

dozer.JPGhole shot.JPGslick fill.JPG