• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which track machine

Yellowdog

There have been 9 guys that have responded on this post. Some of them own one of these machines and others have "heard about" or "seen something", others troll the forum, and then post and run, but most likely, most have not owned all of the models you are looking at.

The forums and some of the information can be good, but I would suggest that you digest the posted information with a grain of salt, visit as many of these machine's dealers that you can, ask lots of questions, ask for customer references, and then demand a demo so that you can physically see if the machines will do what you want it to do. Good luck.

Amen. It amazes me how many guys chime in (not calling anyone out here specifically) after renting a machine once or twice, watching one work across the road, or hearing from a buddy and then post what they think.

The best advice was just given. Take time, investigate and put seat time into a demo of the brand you are leaning towards.

I personally put nearly 3000 hours on 3 Bobcat K series large frame, high flow loaders (2 s300's and 1 s330) used about 50% of the time for mulching and they have been low maintenance.
I also owned, briefly (200 hrs), a CAT 272c high flow. While they weren't tracked units, the motors and hydraulics in the CAT are the same as the CTL and MTLs that share the 90 hp machine. The CAT will run the attachments listed well. The Bobcats s330 runs the same ones well which leads me to think that the T320, (same motor but slightly more fuel and more psi) will run the mulcher better. I am not sure what was meant by "fit and finish" but Bobcat K series is finished out just fine compared to my C series CAT. yeah, cat has some neat upgrades like air seat but you can make the Bobcat cab just as sealed as the CAT c series with a little work. the controls are very similar if you go with Bobcat SJC. Either machine, in my opinion, would do what you want and used CATs are certainly a bargain.

METCO

Occupation
self employed
I have a 140 and a 240 TAK love them both, use them in land clearing and mowing on slopes and have never jumped a track. the 140 has 2100 hrs, the 240 has 250hrs on it. my 287 cat has been nothing but nightmares on tracks 3 sets in 1400 hrs

Dr. W

Occupation
Pilot for major airline
I looked at the TAK and never had a chance to operate one!

I was concerned with service support in Houston where I live.

I had a CAT 287B for about 750 hrs. and the tracks would have made it to 1000 hrs. I had one side the was approaching the limit on the track adjustment. I started making most turns to the left and had evened out the wear. Never had any problems with a track departing however, had a on going problem with dirt clogging the A/C coils.

:Banghead

Allgood

I have a 140 and a 240 TAK love them both, use them in land clearing and mowing on slopes and have never jumped a track. the 140 has 2100 hrs, the 240 has 250hrs on it. my 287 cat has been nothing but nightmares on tracks 3 sets in 1400 hrs

I'll add that the Cat and ASV machines I've owned do ride better than the Tak machines. IMHO, they also perform better if you're clearing the mud out of a drained pond or lake (actually a dozer works best for that, but you gotta use what you have). However, I'm the sort of person who can tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer. I murdered my Bobcat machines. I never had one, or used one, where I didn't manage to 'tweak' the loader arms. I know, I know, everything has it's limit. However, I bid by the hour and stuff has to happen and happen in a hurry! That pretty well left me with Tak machines for both compact track loaders and compact excavators. I think their pilot controls are some of the best handling setups on any machine and You can't hardly tear up a Tak as long as you maintain them.

A friend has a Kubota mini ex who runs on some jobs with me and I've been impressed with his machine. If they come out with a compact track loader I'd bet it will be first rate, but I'm one of those kind of guys who will never be the first guy on the block to have something that is new. Good luck!

cat980

COPPA
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
i would either go with the cat or the Takeuche because i have herd good things about both of them

wroughtnharv

Charter Member
Occupation
self employed maker of things
I've rented tracked bobcats, jcb's, and Tak's. There is no comparison when it comes to moving dirt. The Tak just does it better and easier.

A question I have in my mind is the real difference, besides paint and decals, between the Tak, Gehl, and Mustang ctl's? I know Tak makes the Gehl and Mustang. I just wonder if there is any benefits to buying a Gehl or Mustang over the Tak.

05rammer

The only diggerences that I know of is the paint and the way the doors on the cab open. Gehl opens out and Tak opens up. I don't know about Mustang, I think it is out also.