• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which size mini to buy?

eric12

So the question is just a generic subject to talk about, not anything specific but what size mini excavator do you think is the "right" size excavator? I see a lot of 78 size machines and a lot of 35 size machines but not as many others. If you could only have one size mini what would it be? And what attachments would you have with it?

Ragingbull83

Occupation
Self Employed Construction Company Owner
I'd suggest a Bobcat new E series I've ran quiet a few different brands but rented an E35 last weekend fell in love with it they have come so far with them, Fast smooth its even far better then the G series, And for a 7,500 pound tractor it lifted and had the power of a five ton, in fact rented a 337 last year and I'd bet the E series would run circles around it. If your moving a lot of weight maybe a E50 ?

eric12

Has anyone used attachments like the brush clearing or small grapples on mini excavators? You see a lot of thumbs but rarely any grapples on mini excavators, is there a reason people don't like small grapples?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The 35 sized machines are the best selling weight class. Pretty versatile and can do a lot of work. Personally I like the 55-60 class machines. However the answer to this question is as varied as the guys that run them. Its always a balance between size, capacity and trailering ability. I had a 35 sized machine and moved to a 53 sized in 2003. It was the right decision for my operation.

eric12

Why do they make so many sizes of mini excavators it seems like there should be like 4 sizes but there's 27,35,40 they're so close in size it seems odd to make different sizes so similar.