• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which Mini-Ex would you want?

thahn1608

I'm looking for a mini-ex. Here are my specifications. Within these parameters what brand/model would you prefer? I have an idea based on some research, but I haven't been on as many machines as you guys...

Depth of Dig: at least 9'
Weight: less than 7,000
Accessories: I would like something that can run a thumb as well as at least two digging operations at the same time

A little about what it will be used for: I'm a general contractor so it will be a utility machine for digging small addition foundations, trenching and other various projects. What is most important is occasionally I'm called in to fix a foundation that has been compromised or has water issues. As a result I'd like something that can dig a full 9' to the bottom of the footer, yet not put too much pressure on the foundation while sitting right beside it. The machine also needs to have a history of wearing well without a lot of slop in the swing or the booms. Big, strong and lightweight. Yep. I need a superman type of machine. What would you choose if you had a budget of LESS than $20,000 for a good used machine.

Oh, yeah... Age doesn't matter too much. I just need to find something that I can put on, say, 250 hours per year and doesn't require a major overhaul at 2,500 hours or something that I'm constantly replacing the same parts. I'm not afraid to work on it, I just don't like doing the same job over and over and over and over... You know how it is.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Sounds a 3.5 ton or 35 sized machine is what your looking for. If your working around foundations you certainly want a zero tail machine. I would look for something with a thumb and quick coupler. The key to making these machines pay is adaptability. A bucket quick coupler is crucial. Some good choices would be Deere/Hitachi 35, CASE/Kobelco CX36, IHI 40Nx (this will be a little heavy, but very good machines), Takeuchi TB138. These machines typically have less than 5 pounds per square inch under the tracks.

yanmarman

Occupation
union ironworker
VIO 35 Yanmar is your answer! its zero tail swing.and around 7500 lbs, weight con be hauled on 10,000 trailer with ease. Yanmars sipe fuel and have lots of power A lot of mini excavators use yanmar engines Getting parts is easy at Domonion Equipment in Va. at 877-828-7785 Not much luck at yanmar dealers Ihave 2 yanmar excavators now,Ithink there the best,have had other brands until I got my 1st yanmar. I know there made japan,but just anything that's anygood is made out the states what a shame.hope this helps you out Yanmarman

fsmech

Occupation
field service mechanic
Yanmarman, quick question for you but is there much difference between the marine and industrial yanmar engines? Same engines just with heat exchangers and sacrificial anodes? Have worked on small yanmar's in cat mini excavators and Clark forklifts, and a marine engine that looked a lot like a Toyota 1Hz engine turboed. Think it was about 340 horsepower in a 7m boat. Seem reliable and user friendly engines!