• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which Is The Best 5 to 7 Ton Excavator To Buy

Wylie5

Occupation
Weed Control Contractor
Hi, l am in the market to buy my first small used excavator in the 5-7 ton range with a mono boom, Have a quick release head, steel tracks, buy a full set of buckets, ripper and log grab, , Also as money is allows buy a tilting head & frail mower, I was thinking of building a device that holds all the buckets, ripper and log grab, and carry it around the job as i went, when i got back to the truck lift and load & strap it down.

I Have talked to so many people, that tell you that only buy this brand and not that brand.

i Want a machine that has good parts avalibilty and backup, Has good hyd pump/s so that can really dig, As well as a power bulge if possable in a machine that size, Push blade, Zero swing ass end, Has good hyd pumps for climbing ability with out the use of the boom if nessasary, don't mind what brand as long as it dose its job.

Thanks in advance

Cheers for Now
All Terrain Weed Control
Andrew.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
it like my takeuchi tb 53... weights close to 13k with thumb. Shop around, sometimes you can find deals on this size machine because they require cdl trucks to pull them around. I bought mine for 20k less because it had 70hrs on it...

Ozz

In the seven-nine ton class, it quite simple- Komatsu PC78 or Hitachi 75 or Takehuchi TB180.

Now- in the 10k class- Hitachi 50, then a TK 153, then a PC 55.

j.r.

Occupation
hoe operator
cat 308ccr has everything your looking for. its powerful, parts are easy to come by and they make pretty much any attachment for it. i have also ran a pc78 and the 308 will work circles around the 78

papasmurf

Occupation
operator
takeuchi

i would deffinatly look into the 175 or 180 zero swing.
we bought a 175 last year and its great. its one of the few mini's that ive seen lately that have some reach. its got just over 24 feet at ground level, where the next closest i believe is 21, and 3 feet makes all the diference.

plus they have great cycle times and lots of power

Wylie5

Occupation
Weed Control Contractor
Which is the Best

Hi papasmurf,
Sounds like a Cat or takeuchi are the machines, Have not purchased a machine as of yet , As l was in a car crash and have got 10 fractures in my back with a broken collar bone and some broken ribbs as well, So l am not doing much, other than recovering, hope to be right by xmas, then buy a machine then.

Thanks for the input, great.
Best Regards
Andrew Wylie,
ATWC, Aust.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Cat sucks, get John Deere or Hitachi.

Wylie5

Occupation
Weed Control Contractor
Which is Best

Hi 245dlc,
Cat do have very good parts back up Here in Aus, Probly better than any other equipment dealer, Over night 95% parts delivery in most cases. that is hard to beat, Not sure on the fuel consumption for the cat or the takeuchi, Kobico has very good fuel figures.

Best Regards
Andrew Wylie
ATWC, Aust.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Good for them they have the worst production and here in Canada they're parts availability is just as good as everybody else in fact I'm told that Case here stocks more parts while Cat only stocks parts for the large machines because they don't give a hoot about the little guys.

MitchSA

What about a Volvo EC55? Not sure what series you get down under, we only get the B series here and the few we have sold have been quite good. I think CJD Equipment is the agent in Oz. Give it a look.

Wylie5

Occupation
Weed Control Contractor
Which is Best

Hi MitchSA,
Sorry to say this but volve down hear, don't a very good resale for some un know reason.

Best Regards
Andrew Wylie
ATWC, Aust.

MitchSA

No worries buddy, you have to look after yourself at the end of the day. You dont want to do yourself in by loosing too much money when/if you sell the machine.

masterwelder

Can you get kubota machines down under? We cant kill ours, plenty of nice features, don't know about parts- we haven't need many, but the ones we did need we got ok.

cortooncowboy

id say hitachi ex60-2,3,5, is hard to beat , the company i work for as plant fitter have a komatsu pc78 and its performance is miserable, only has a single pump and it cannot do 2 movements together and was no better even when brand new!