• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which buckets do I need for my Bobcat E50?

CatToy

Just ordered a new E50 (first mini excavator) to compliment my new T770, I plan to get a smooth lipped 36" for cleanup work. If I get one other bucket for digging, what is the best size? I was thinking on a toothed 24" for all around digging and use with the thumb. What say you all?

I demo"ed a E50 with a 36" toothed bucket and it handled it fine except when I hit chert rock which 90% of the land around me is made of. For such a small excavator, you can move a lot of dirt with a 36" bucket.

Rentalstop

I would recommend a 24 inch tooth bucket. As you said, you could use a 36 inch tooth bucket but with rock and the fact that dirt can get tougher as you dig deeper, the 24 would be a great choice. You may also want a 12 or 16 inch bucket for trenching water or drain lines.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
If your chert is anything like we have here I would go with a 24" bucket on that size mini.

Anthonycecil

I have a four foot or larger smooth lipped clean out bucket which I use most of the time, and a 24 inch toothed bucket...I really don`t care for the long teeth, but it handles it well..Frankly a 18 inch would be more handy for digging trenches....Tony

JD8875

I have a 12, 16, and 24. The 16" bucket lives on my machine and I put the others on the trailer only when needed. My 12" hardly gets used. Im not a big guy but I can't bend over in a 12" ditch. 24 or bigger is great for moving a lot of dirt but creates a ditch prone to sink and settle unless backfilled precisely.

Enjoy
John

melli

Just ordered a new E50 (first mini excavator) to compliment my new T770, I plan to get a smooth lipped 36" for cleanup work. If I get one other bucket for digging, what is the best size? I was thinking on a toothed 24" for all around digging and use with the thumb. What say you all?

I demo"ed a E50 with a 36" toothed bucket and it handled it fine except when I hit chert rock which 90% of the land around me is made of. For such a small excavator, you can move a lot of dirt with a 36" bucket.

Definitely a cleanup bucket as you suggest...36" is plenty.
If you have to do any trenching, I would get a 12" tooth. The 24" tooth bucket is my main guy. I use it for felling trees, as the wider bucket doesn't slip off trees when I push, and for hauling logs. Plus, the wider tooth bucket can pick up more slash or brush with one bite.

I use the 12" for trenching, as with wider buckets you end up creating WW1 trenches....
I do use the 12" for root grubbing if I need to avoid other tree's roots, but the 24" tooth bucket is awesome at hauling large boulders (more contact points).

I got lucky and got three buckets with my used package...the plus for having two toothed buckets, is I invariably break a tooth or two off one, so having a backup bucket is always nice.

And if you can afford it, get the heavy duty buckets! You'll bust up the regular ones in no time...

CatToy

Thanks all, interesting hearing some of the reasoning on trenching bucket sizes. I am not sure why but I have not trenched over 100' in the past several years, most of of what do is clearing, cleaning, and digging. I do have a L45 TLB with a 12" and 18" bucket if needed , but I like the idea of getting two toothed buckets, a 12" and 24" along with a smooth liped 36".

sheepfoot

We have the hyd x change system, thumb, long stick with extra hyd connects, a 24", 36" heavy duty along with a 52" clean out. We have some other buckets also. We also have the full power tilt that will turn the bucket edge straight up, brush deck, flail ax mower, tree shear, and hyd sickle bar mower for it. The only issue we have with the smaller bucket's less then 18", the bobcat thumb plows in the ground since it's width is wider when digging deeper than the thumb mounting. I have really enjoyed the E50 machine.

CatToy

The only issue we have with the smaller bucket's less then 18", the bobcat thumb plows in the ground since it's width is wider when digging deeper than the thumb mounting.

I wondered about this...

sheepfoot

Yes that's the truth! if your only digging to the depth of the thumb it works great, say a water line, here it's 12-18" deep. If you are going to dig deeper with a 12" or even a ripper tooth that thumb ( which is a good one from bobcat) will be in the way. We have a full set of buckets 12/16/18/24/30/36/48 for the TLB so we left the 12/16 off the list when we bought the 50.

413wedge

I dig foundations almost exclusively so my needs are much different than yours . I have a 12, 15, 18, and 24 for my u25 and my u55. 30" clean up for my u25 and a 48" clean up for my u55. I really like the big smooth buckets for processing material for back fill. if I was limited to just a couple id say a big smooth and a 24" and a 12". before I got my 15 I just welded a pair of teeth together and put them on the corners of my 12 to give me a wider profile. I do that with my 18 if I need a 20 and so on.

sheepfoot

That works, welding on some ears/plates. We have to change out often do to ground apples and stumps along with so much close utilities. I know what you mean with the cost of concrete, inches make up $$$$ in a hurry!!

Tags

I have a 5 tonish machine with a quick coupler and I run a 30" bucket for most of the work I do, the machine handles it fine and it's amazing how much easier it is to scoop up several stones instead of just one. I also have a 16" bucket(it is just slightly wider than the thumb) that I use for drainage and waterline/electric trenches, a ripper tooth for stumps and a 48" grading bucket. I take the 16, 30 and 48" buckets with me everywhere the machine goes. It really depends on what you do, some guys never switch buckets and do just fine....