• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's Your favorite Insulated Coveralls?

chroniekon

We've got some cold weather (cold for us) coming and I'm going to be working out in it all this week. Some of you guys do this on an ongoing basis and I'm wondering what kind of coveralls you like the best.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I like uninsulated tuff duck or carhart bib overalls,long underwear work jeans, T shirt, hoody and quilted shirt or parka depending in the degree of cold and I never wear a toque just cap with my hood pulled up when required. I hate one big heavy layer its too hard to regulate when your working.

chroniekon

Thanks. Your answer is better than my question. I should have asked how do you dress for cold weather? The layering makes sense.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I suspect your weather is similar to mine. I have some insulated coveralls but I very rarely wear them unless I am working in the very cold mountains. They are just too warm when doing any kind of physical labor. Now if standing still they can really help. I like to wear a toque (convict hat), it is the first thing I put on when it gets cold as a lot of heat escapes from the head. Also it softens the blow from bashing the head on spring shackes and the like. A toque with regular coveralls will keep you a lot warmer than without and it's easy to remove.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Pick whatever brand coverall/bibbs, brand don't matter to me as long as the leg zipper goes all the way up the leg. Coveralls/bibbs that only have a short leg zipper are a PITA to get your boot in and out of. JMHO :)

mitch504

Uhh, Willie, don't the short zippers reach all the way up YOUR legs?

I wear bib overalls rather than coveralls. I wore coveralls for years, but here it might be 25 at daylight, 50 in mid afternoon, then 30 at knock time. It is easy to take a jacket off, and still have the equivalent of a vest and pants.

About 5 years ago I left my Carhartts home and went to a job 100 miles from home (this is why you should never take them in to wash), and stopped in a farm supply and bought some "Master Sportsman by Prestige" overalls for about $50. I thought they'd fall apart soon, but they are what I've worn all winter since. Not a rip or a tear, and still waterproof! They have a water barrier under the outer shell, like FD turnout gear. They are a soft material, but nearly impossible to tear.

Last edited:

FSERVICE

im vertically changled so i wear carhartt bibs & jacket as a outer layer. if its going to be a day long outside workin in the below freezing temps i take a thermos full of somekinda soup. (im NOT a coffee drinker) so thats a nice warm up break. i dress in layers & always have a extra layer in the service truck in case i get wet/nasty & need it ;) also there is a endles supply of gloves in my truck.. there are several differant thicknesses of carhartt also the lining color tells the weight.

BlazinSS934

Mitch

Funny you mention turnout gear. I work for a water district and I wear my old bunker pants and boots when it cold out too. I usually wear a long sleeve tee light weight sweatshirt and then a thermal hooded sweat shirt. If it's really blowing I'll throw my nomex hood on.

ValleyFirewood

2 t shirts, hoodie sweatshirt, thick coat, bonnet and then hoodie over and hoodie of coat over that.
L johns, pants, bibs.
2 pairs of socks, winter boots. Sometimes toe Warmers as well.

That is usually good for most of the winter here. If its winter also a face mask.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
2 t shirts, hoodie sweatshirt, thick coat, bonnet and then hoodie over and hoodie of coat over that.
L johns, pants, bibs.

That is usually good for most of the winter here. If its winter also a face mask.

I read your post on my black berry so I couldn't see where you where from and thought man this guy is dressing for the artic, now that I am on my lap top I see I wasn,t far off.
AK is Alaska ?

chroniekon

Wow Mr. Wood, that's some serious layering. That's what I'm going to try thanks to all the suggestions here. Only on a much lighter scale. Got some bid overalls and a hoody sweatshirt on a Black Friday deal to go along with some long johns and an insulated jacket I already had. I'm embarrassed to admit it's only in the 20's and 30's here. All relative I guess. I won't be complaining after hearing what a real winter is like.

Last edited:

ValleyFirewood

Wow Mr. Wood, that's some serious layering. That's what I'm going to try thanks to all the suggestions here. Only on a much lighter scale. Got some bid overalls and a hoody sweatshirt on a Black Friday deal to go along with some long johns and an insulated jacket I already had. I'm embarrassed to admit it's only in the 20's and 30's here. All relative I guess. I won't be complaining after hearing what a real winter is like.

What I listed keeps me decently warm to -10* and being outside for 8-10hrs. My feet end up getting cold first usually.

Dad5

Here in the Great White North Helly Hansen for real cold and Carhartts for the balmier days.

d9gdon

L johns, pants, bibs.

I bet you look like that kid on "A Christmas Story" when you get all bundled up.

Randy-Snow-Suit-A-Christmas-Story-2.jpg

bill onthehill

Guys should be able to give some fresh opinions after this Arctic blast moves through. Going to be mighty chilly for the next week.

chroniekon

As usual, HEF is a great resource for knowledge in all things practical. The layering method is working very well. I would mention for anyone following along with the same level of inexperience in cold weather dressing to not wait 'till the last minute to go to the bathroom! Don't ask how I know.:eek:

Randy88

Two T shirts one short sleeved one long sleeved, one heavy long sleeved shirt, one or two pair of long johns, a hooded sweat shirt, and insulated bib's and heavy insulated boots, a full beard and stocking hat and major mittens, with gloves inside those, two pairs of socks and still froze my butt off with wind chills today at 25 below zero. When it gets really cold, I'll wear insulated coveralls over the insulated bibs, but its hard to move around and work, let alone shed the layers x number of times per hour to hook up fittings in a mud filled hole while tiling. And no I don't care what science says, ground in dirt covered coats feel warmer than clean coats every time.

I also want things to have buttons on things rather than zippers, those freeze with mud and water and won't work right, snaps don't last long enough to make it worth buying stuff with them on.

If I'm in the wind a lot, I"ll use either tile tape or duct tape and tape the leg bottoms to the boots and coat sleeves to my gloves to keep the wind out. With those zipper leg things on the coveralls and insulated bib's I've been known to remove those and have elastic stretch material sewn so they seal tighter as I wear them.

mitch504

As usual, HEF is a great resource for knowledge in all things practical. The layering method is working very well. I would mention for anyone following along with the same level of inexperience in cold weather dressing to not wait 'till the last minute to go to the bathroom! Don't ask how I know.:eek:

A couple of years ago, we were working in the dark with temps in the teens. One of the laborers walked over to the edge of the woods, and then we heard him cussing up a blue streak! He had failed to extract a certain appendage through all the layers in the dark, and now the inside of his coveralls were all wet!