• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Whats better.... D8K OR D8H???!!!

Deas Plant

What's in a name???????????

Hi, Wulf.
I sorta git ther impreshun that you ain't alltergether happy with mee callin' 'em 'Kummagutsas'. Now what would give me that idea?

I admit that service and parts availability can vary from one dealer to another. Maybe your 'Kummagutsa' dealer in Manitoba got to be that big 'cos they DO offer good service. The local outfit here in South-east Queensland does not seem to get many rave reviews.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF sledgehammer! :drinkup

sledgehammer

thanks everyone! i ended up getting a d8h in good condition really cheap.
just needs a little tlc.

there is fuel seeping out of one the injectors between the injector itself and the head. would that just be a seal problem? what kind seals are in there?

thanks

Attachments

• kitty 2.jpg
    kitty 2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 589

surfer-joe

If it's coming from between the injector threads and the injector line retainer nut, the nut may be loose. The ferrule on that end of the line may also be cracked, a very common problem caused most often by over-tightening. It's possible that the injector capsule is loose in the pre-cup assembly. You would need to remove the injector line, the capsule retainer and capsule, and clean the carbon out in the bottom of the bore in the pre-cup. Then reassemble making sure the injector capsule fits snugly into it's seat. Don't over tighten the capsule retainer nut. Use a new seal at the top when reinstalling. Then attach the injector line and snug up.

I have seen the injector line cocked out of proper alignment under the nut, causing a leak. Also a crack just behind the ferrule on the tubing itself, but still just inside the head of the retainer nut. Sometimes these cracks are real hard to see, remember you are working with fairly high pressure stuff there, be careful!!!

Good Luck!

Deas Plant

Good find?

Hi, Sledghammer.
Hope you got lucky there. That dozer looks as if it may have been used for clearing trees at some stage of its life, from the extension to the top of the blade and the brush canopy. Got any more photos?

Best of luck with it.

sledgehammer

it spent most of its life as a highways cat. its only been in the bush for the last 3 years or so. i just pulled it in the shop today i'm gonna change ALL the oils and fluids, just so i know where its at.

sorry bout the bad pics i took them with my phone

Attachments

• kitty.jpg
    kitty.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 594

richardcatdaddy

Occupation
heavy equipment hauler,local
subject

Well guess I will start another debate.If you had included the 8N,I would picked the N.We have 3 of them and I like them pretty well,when I get to operate that is.Mostly I load and haul em to jobs.So I dont get a lot of seat time.:usa

LDK

Standard 46A was 285 HP, but there were variations for different applications.

I think I am correct in thinking that the D8H 46A and the D8H 68A were the same dozer just that they were built and sold in different parts of the under different serial numbers, the 68A was 270 HP. I stand to be corrected if I am wrong?
The earlier model 22a and 68a were 235 HP

Last edited:

surfer-joe

I suspect you are correct. As I said, Cat would set certain machines to different ratings not only for the work they were expected to do, but also for altitude and other factors.

JDOFMEMI

I have spent many hrs on a 46A model, and as I recall, they were RATED at 270 HP. I believe the high power model Deas showed us was the 285 HP, but I could be wrong there.
I spent most of my time on a 30,000+ serial number 46A, and it was a real good tractor. I do recall one time when the governor went bad, and let it overfuel. I had to finish the project, and ran it for about a month like that. I held it back with the decel., but when under load, it would outpush a D-9H we had on the job. I kept it together for the job, and when it got taken down for repair, we found one of the weights broken off of the governor spring, and that let it keep pouring on the fuel. When it was set right, that old cat would go 13 hrs on a tank of fuel, but when It was running like that, it would only make 7, and I had to splash it at lunchtime to make the day.
I liked the 46A better than the K models though, even though the 77V had an extra 30 horses at 300.
I have to admit, I am spoiled now with a D-8R and a D-8T in the game. I really like the R, and the T is great, but now and then has a bug in the elec tronics. Recently the ripper either will not pitch in and out, or it will do it on its own with no operator input. At least we don't have to rip much, as it is only a finish dozer.
I have said how much I liked the 46A, but the R is a whole new game, and I have performed pioneering work with the R in hours in places that would have taken all day and then some with the 46A, just because of the speed and manouverability with the tiller steer, and being able to keep both tracks under power, instead of clutching to turn really helps you keep control when the going gets steep. The 46A will go on a steeper side slope, but thats why we hang a slopeboard on the side, so we can keep from wearing out the rails and rollers always working on a side slope.

Well, Ive gone on long enough.
Have a good one

surfer-joe

Yup! The 46A CAT was my favorite too. Seemed to have better balance than the 77V, and the exhaust was further away from the operator seat, so it was cooler to run tho a bit louder. I liked the sound of it better.

I have to admit, a 8R is a far better machine than either of those or the 8N. Pioneering with an 8R in rocky ground where you can't go outside the tape is a dream.

When I was a kid, a local contractor had a piece of interstate near us and he had some 8's that were goosed up for pushing DW20's and later on 621's and S24's. I think they were late model 36A's.Those baby's were bad smokers and really got with it shoving cans in the sandy soil that we had in that area. Later on he bought some D9's with the fuel converters and pushed with those, but the operators didn't like them. Another outfit south of there had a couple of Euclid TC12's equipped with push dozers. Most of his scrapers were S24's and AC 460's.

But, I always liked a good International TD25C better than any of the standard 8's.

LDK

Diesel torque

Surfer-Joe, what's the "fuel converter" thing about?

I haven't heard that term before.

That would be diesel torque converter, the 19A D9's had that set up you could the D8H with it also, if I remember correctly it was only on the 235 HP model 68A not the 270HP. I never ran one but my father did, I seem to remember him saying that if it happend to run out of fuel you had double the trouble.