• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What year did ASV undercarriage change?

tacotory

Seems like I remember someone saying that there was a change to the ASV undercarriage used on the Cat machines that made them less prone to clogging up with mud, etc. Is this true? If so, what year was the first year with the new design?

I'm looking at 287s and don't want to buy a headache.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Keenan993

I think they changed it with the 287c, maybe 08. I have this machine, the performance is awesome, but will be lucky to get 1200 hours out of the undercarriage.
In the winter, we spend about an hour at the end of the day cleaning out the little rollers, or they freeze and the machine won't move.
Gravel and rocky soil really chew up the undercarriage on this machine.

tacotory

Hmm, I was thinking it was earlier than that, but I really don't know. So all the 287Bs have the exact same undercarriage?

toomuchtime

B is old style c is new style. The asv undercarriage is misunderstood by most. The ride it delivers is awesome to say the least but it does have its downfalls. In my humble opinion the c and b still have the same downfalls. The c is much is easier to clean but it is lacking the metal guard to protect the boogies. Some say the metal guard on the B holds rocks and grit that will grind away at the rubber they are right.The c has some comfort improvements along with a bit more power and some weight reductions. With that said if you dont plan on pressure washing this machine on a regular basis and getting on your hands and knees to clean it its not for you. If you take care it you should be able to get 1400-2000 hrs out of a under carriage with normal use. Good luck.

tacotory

Thank you- great info.

Well, I just picked up a B model at an auction, so I guess I'd better get friendly with my pressure washer!

I have to change the tracks on it. How would I know when a bogy wheel or other undercarriage part needs to be replaced? While I am changing the tracks I want to give the machine a refresher, but don't want to spend any $$ I don't need to. Is it only if the wheels are stiff or difficult to turn, or if they are chewed up too? If chewed up, how much is too much?

Thanks for the advice!

toomuchtime

congrats on your purchase.Im not sure what cat specs say when they should be replaced really im not sure there is a spec issued by them. Remember there is a axle that go's through each set of boggies from one side to the next. So if a boggie is worn to the point is cavitating i would replace it. They can get pretty chewed up and still be ok to use .What model machine did you get?

Keenan993

B is old style c is new style. The asv undercarriage is misunderstood by most. The ride it delivers is awesome to say the least but it does have its downfalls. In my humble opinion the c and b still have the same downfalls. The c is much is easier to clean but it is lacking the metal guard to protect the boogies. Some say the metal guard on the B holds rocks and grit that will grind away at the rubber they are right.The c has some comfort improvements along with a bit more power and some weight reductions. With that said if you dont plan on pressure washing this machine on a regular basis and getting on your hands and knees to clean it its not for you. If you take care it you should be able to get 1400-2000 hrs out of a under carriage with normal use. Good luck.

great analysis

tacotory

congrats on your purchase.Im not sure what cat specs say when they should be replaced really im not sure there is a spec issued by them. Remember there is a axle that go's through each set of boggies from one side to the next. So if a boggie is worn to the point is cavitating i would replace it. They can get pretty chewed up and still be ok to use .What model machine did you get?

I got a 2005 287b.

So you're saying that for each set of boggies, there is a single axle shaft that goes from one side of the track to the other and that if either is loose or wobbling, replace it so it doesn't take out the other side- correct?