• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What tracks should be on my D4?

ScottNC

'67 D4 78A7177. Looking for a used set of chains or tracks. I was told both D4 dozer and 941 loader tracks fit but on further investigation it seems there is more to the story than that. Among the possible variables; dry unsealed pins, dry sealed pins, 1.99" or 2.12" bushing diameters, thick or thin chain link thickness. On something this old there is no telling whats on there currently. What should it have and how do I verify if that is what is on there now?

Thanks!!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
What I have in my old catalogs was the flat D4 was one series, the D4D and E were another. The earlier shared rails with 955C and 941 the latter with 941B 943 and 215. Link numbers as well a call to Cat Parts will help.

Metalman 55

This is the part # taken from the chains on my D4D.

Attachments

• 20161205_103746.jpg
    20161205_103746.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 32

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
What I have in my old catalogs was the flat D4 was one series, the D4D and E were another. The earlier shared rails with 955C and 941 the latter with 941B 943 and 215. Link numbers as well a call to Cat Parts will help.
I believe a 78A should be a D4D

ScottNC

The local Cat house's parts book (microfiche) show it as both D4 and D4D. The last of several paint jobs left the tractor with D4 decals.

Not that it makes much difference in the grand scheme of things, but is there a defining something that sets a D4D apart from a lowly D4?

This evening I will take note of the numbers on my tracks.

It was suggested by a used parts fellow in Kentucky I buy new chains, that the cost is fairly reasonable compared to what fair quality used ones would bring. In following up on that idea, just what I it was my machine has on it came up.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
When you figure out the rail segment p/n that will give all the info as to bushing diameter and rail dimensions for height, that even if a Berco or any other aftermarket rail can be looked up.

As to numbering on yours, many older Cats only had the base designator on the decals, D6's come to mind right off, some did and most did not have the suffix designator where the s/n was the only way to distinguish.

ScottNC

When you figure out the rail segment p/n that will give all the info as to bushing diameter and rail dimensions for height, that even if a Berco or any other aftermarket rail can be looked up.

As to numbering on yours, many older Cats only had the base designator on the decals, D6's come to mind right off, some did and most did not have the suffix designator where the s/n was the only way to distinguish.

A little thread shift.... D., I just noticed your location, you have a winery, Stone Hill in Herman. They make what I consider to be the best Norton/Cynthiana wines in the U.S. I am jealous. I use their Norton wine as inspiration to make my own better.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
We have several wineries around including Stone Hill, a few are as good as The Hill and many have found the grape growing business to be temperamental at best! Their Norton is among the nation's finest where it has won many awards, the problem is the really wet years is becomes drier with the grapes being more full and liquid filled where the really dry years it gets some sweeter as the fruit intensifies sugar content and less fluid content, soil type and acidity is also a part of the equation but only a part. They have managed to keep consistency for the last few but are suspecting the next few years will change the Norton quite a bit, will see how this last years batch turned out in a few weeks.

Hermann is a fairly acid soil region of Loess type granular soil over heavy or hard limestone that counters that acidity at times.

ScottNC

One question... as I am about to place an order with them for the wife's 60th birthday, then I'll get back to dozers. What, in your opinion is the best vintage Stone Hill?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I have been fond of all the Nortons' from 2014 back, may have some fun finding those, 2013 was the last I opened and loved every drop. I also enjoy a spot glass of their 2006 Port both Red and White, if you have not tried the white you need to, very interesting blend of flavors. They also have a very mellow Chambourcin, my last bottle on shelf is a 2011.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Scottnc, I sent you a private conversation, not sure you can find those but has lots of info in it.

ScottNC

FWIW here is the number on my chain kinks; 7K1825. The number was extremely difficult to read so if any of you familiar with such things can verify that this is indeed a good number I'd appreciate it.

Old Magnet

7K1825/1826 are good link numbers. They have the 2.12 (large diameter bushings) 36 section dry track 9/16 pad bolting.
You could change up to sealed or sealed and lubricated track with alligator links but pad bolting changes to 5/8" dia.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Stepping up to SALT undercarriage with heavier bolting would not be so bad. The larger bushing diameter in a used set could come from a 943 if could find decent. Otherwise may be time to invest in ITR or Berco as a aftermarket, even Cat Classic parts in new?

ScottNC

The sad fact is the age of the machine. Just like me, while it starts and runs well and uses no oil, once on new tracks the value of the whole will be less than the money just spent.

Found some used chains on-line for about $350/side. Don't know the condition yet or if they are loose links or assembled.