• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

what psi should radiator cap be for a diesel?

jbanderson

Occupation
cocacola
Its a 3 cylinder isuzu, It keeps blowing water out of the radiator vent hole and overheating im hoping its just the cap, I duno what else would cause that.
also its a small cap, does anyone know if there is a standard size?
thanks

Last edited:

soso

take off rad cap start it up and see if it is blowing bubbles in coolant, if so it is blowing by head or head gasket
as for the cap you can get a tester to check them, it also can be used to test for coolant leaks in rads and blocks.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Yep I have to agree with everyone else it's probably a blown head gasket.Over here most rad caps are 15psi but you will do more damage by changing the cap or prolonged use of the engine in this condition..Time for a Wrench Bender

joispoi

Stock beat me to it. Sounds like it's time to pull the head and have a look at that head gasket.

jbanderson

Occupation
cocacola
sounds like its time to sell it!

working on a mini X is probly the worst thing I have ever had to work on..... Nothing is accessable

jbanderson

Occupation
cocacola
anyone recoment a good place to buy one just in case? Colant keeps getting low, and has been running rough.. And I checked and yes I got bubbles in the coolant... DANGIT!!!

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Probably cost a lot less to do the head gasket than to replace it..

jbanderson

Occupation
cocacola
deffinatly, but I dont need it.
Im gonna do the head gasket probly if I can find somewere to buy parts!! This is rediculess

ontrac

By the way every 1 psi pressure on the system will give you about a 3 dergee temp drop that is why some caps are alot higher than others.