• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What oil for skid steer?

dobronos

I called my dealer and they are telling me to use 10W-30 for my New Holland LX565 which is diesel. They are also telling my I can use the 10W-30 in the hydro system? Is this right? I also went out and bought Castrol 10W-30 but I just want to make sure this will work before I change oil. - Mike

gwiley

I haven't heard that motor oil could be used in the hydraulics for anything other than an emergency. The additional ratings on motor oil should match whatever your machine calls for in the owners manual - I think diesel wants a CD rating normally.

Bobcatdan

A lot of skidsteers run 10w-30 in the hydro, I can't say for sure NH does, but it wouldn't surpise me. Outside of extreme cold, I have never heard of running 10w30 as the normal recommand diesel oil.

dobronos

Hmmm... I'm a little confused. What oil type would you guys recommend for hydro and engine? - Mike

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I would trust your dealer before I would trust 90% of the information I got off one of these forms.
With that said I have been using Delo 15/40 for the past 30 years in both motor and Hydraulic systems for my bobcats. Anything over 15 years old I would not think you could go wrong. and yes as Gwiley stated look for a CD rating for your oil.

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
From what I have seen, there is a wealth of good, experienced information from honest old hands on this site. My information I give is right out of my New Holland Operator's manual. I have an LS180 which calls for -10 to 120F 10W 30 in engine. I run Rotella 15W 40. Hydraulic oil is 10W 30 for previous listed temperature range.

Last edited:

dobronos

Thanks guys appreciate the info. I'm just going to go with what the dealer tells me. Thanks - Mike

coalroller

Occupation
heavy haul
our rock drill calls for 10w30 shell ultra low sulfar oil its a cat motor. and we run 10w30 in the hydraulics because it does better with the heat

Last edited:

durallymax

New hollands are 10w30 throughout machine. Keeps things simple. chaincases, hydro and motor. The book gives you a chart of everything you can use. 10w30 is very common. Cat also uses 10w30 for engine oil. They use advanced 10w for hydro. New new hollands use smurf fluid but you can flush it out for 10w30.

Good luck. Most people on here arent too far off on specs. Many tines the dealer can be way off, just depends which guy you get. Take everything with a grain of salt and make your own conclusion.

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
one correction to durallymax. the chain cases call for 80W 90 gear oil.