• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is your take on hiring somebody new in these tough times?

DuraMaxMan66

Occupation
PT student/operator
He didnt pay good money to run a pick and shovel. Does a pilot out of flight school fuel planes? hell no! Does a truck driver just out of trucking school work the loading docks....nope...Ya you have to work your way up but not from pick and shovel.

Now if one needs work that may be a little different and yes he should possibly settle as a labor.

Thanks Reuben :drinkup::)

Last edited:

DuraMaxMan66

Occupation
PT student/operator
Don't give up hope. Things are tough all round right now. I'm an HEO alumni just like you, times were a bit better when I got out though. School training, esp. PCT's can be a good way to get a foot in the door, but once you're there you'll still have to start from the ground up.

I'm not sure if Ben Eldred was still there when you were at PCT, but one of his things was always to point out that at school they teach ya enough "to be dangerous" yeah you can dig and grade in a controlled environment, but the guys that hire kids from PCT know that you still need to be molded to their company's vision. So times like now that added experience you have is what's gonna help, cause then you have some real world references to back you up.

I'm sort of tired and feel like I"m rambling aimlessly so I'd better stop now. Keep your chin up and good luck, things will get better, they always do:usa

Ben eldred was long gone when I went through all the classes. Another guy took over like 2 or 3 years before i started. But Thanks, I know Im not gonna be used to a operating on a real site environment since the closest thing we had was the training site, but I know where I have room to improve and that will make me good in a company.:)