• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

what is this, push block for dozer?

junior

is this a push block for dozer, i can't se exactly, i couldn't find a big photo, do you have any images and information about this, what do they do? thanks.

Attachments

• 120_73_303046.jpg
    120_73_303046.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 1,548

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I'm thinking its to push a pan too. :yup

Deas Plant

Push Block.

Hi, Junior.
Yep, that gadget is a push pad for loading scrapers/pans. I have yet to figure the logic of having a tractor with an attachment like that which can virtually ONLY do one job against having a tractor fitted with a dozer blade that is a multi-purpose tool.

From what I can gather, that style of push pad didn't really gain much favour and was pretty much overtaken by the cushion push blade. I've been in the game 40 plus years DownUnder and I have yet to see one in the 'flesh', so to speak.

Some Euclid TC12's had twin push pads like that, one on each frame to allow the frames to oscillate separately.

Attachments

• Euclid TC12 Type 1 pushdozer_1_Acmoc.jpg
    Euclid TC12 Type 1 pushdozer_1_Acmoc.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,459

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Nice colour is that what new Eucs look like when they are new because all the old Euclid equipment that I have seen is snot green that has been faded for the last 20 years.

farmerted44

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
junior,
wow for a newbie you have just hit the big one!!!!
i have started many a thread here in the last year and have never got a comment from the grand pooh-bah of heavy equipment(deas plant)!!!
great to hear from you deas i was begining to wonder whewre you were....
again congrats junior

srs_mn

Occupation
retired dirt guy
Push blocks

Although I don't know for sure, and I've never actually seen one in use, I always suspected that the dozer push blocks were maybe there to prevent ripping up the rear scaper tires... Using a regular dozer blade, the corners can get very close to the scraper tires during a push, especially if there's any kind of turns or odd angles involved. I was only roped into being a push dozer operator once in my career (a long time ago), but I remember the foreman telling me that he didn't care what else I did but to "watch out for the damn tires!"
srs

Countryboy

Occupation
Is that a Chevy front clip on that dozer? :bouncegri

Deas Plant

Where's I Bin.

Hi, FarmerTed44.
I dunno 'bout that grand pooh bah bit. - there are a lot of people around who know as much as or more than I do - and I takes me lid off to 'em - 'cos I'm still learnin'.

I wuz bin havin trubble gittin on here 'cos for that "You have been banned" notice that keeps poppin nupp. Think I've got it pretty much sorted out now.

I could'nt say for sure just how close that shade of green is to the original Euclid colour but I'd imagine the gentleman who restored that jigger might have done some research to get the right paint for it if he wanted an authentic restoration.

There is a restored Euclid TC12 wandering around in Squizzy's territory.

Attachments

• Euclid TC12 cable dozer_1A.jpg
    Euclid TC12 cable dozer_1A.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,435

junior

junior,
wow for a newbie you have just hit the big one!!!!
i have started many a thread here in the last year and have never got a comment from the grand pooh-bah of heavy equipment(deas plant)!!!
great to hear from you deas i was begining to wonder whewre you were....
again congrats junior

thanks farmerted44, i am curious about heavy equipments, it is a hobby for me:yup , it is so that. thanks again.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Screaming Detroits Too...

That TC12 must be one of the early ones. In Eric Orleman's Euclid/Terex book, there is a chapter about the development of that tractor. The early ones had that sort of "automotive" styled sheetmetal, but it wans't built heavy enough to support the lift mechanism, and was re-designed in the style of the second picture.
I believe the book said GM's truck devision design studios had a hand in the sheetmetal designs, and seeing as Euclid was GM's recent acquisition, the Chevy influence is probably correct.
alan627b

Countryboy

Occupation
So....I was right. It is a Chevy front clip. That means it was and still is an excellent dozer.....with the Chevy heritage it has to be.:bouncegri

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Forgive me, I'm Mopar Or No Car....

If it has got Chevy heritage in it, that might explain why Terex went down the tubes!!:bouncegri :bouncegri
(sorry, I couldn't help it!)
It does resemble the heavy Chevrolet trucks from that era, though.

The Euclid/Terex book by Eric Orleman seemed to idicate to me the real reason Terex fragmented and has become a shadow of it's former self, was due to poor management or at the very least, bad decision making.
As far as scrapers are concerned, Cat has stayed king at least in part because of the cushion hitch, and I'll bet they make sure THAT patent gets renewed.
As yet, no one else has it. Not sure how well the suspended axle measures up.....that and Cat in general can hurl more developement money into it's products, and dealer support.
alan627b

Last edited:

Deas Plant

First and later.

Hi, Alan627B (Flip).
You are partly right. Yes, the first TC12 photo with the push block is one of the first models with the soft front. The second photo is a later hard front model.

dayexco

terex is still very much a viable company, they have approximately 17,000 employees, do a stock check on them over the last 5 years. man, i'm crying that i didn't stick a bunch of money in them in 2000. $16 then, split last summer at about $40....closed today at $58.00 now THAT's a nice return on an investment!!

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
terex is still very much a viable company, they have approximately 17,000 employees, do a stock check on them over the last 5 years. man, i'm crying that i didn't stick a bunch of money in them in 2000. $16 then, split last summer at about $40....closed today at $58.00 now THAT's a nice return on an investment!!

Same here, I remember when they were $9, but it could have just as easily been $4 today. I'll kick myself for not buying as well, but I'm very risk adverse.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
It's Hard To Tell The Players Nowadays...

I didn't mean to suggest Terex was gone, it's just sort of fragmented, it's hard to say who owns what part nowadays. I think the crane division is it's own deal, the division that made scrapers is part of Ingersoll-Rand or whoever owns them....do they still make Terex loaders? I know there are Terex off road forklifts, and artic trucks.
Euclid is it's own company and still makes off road trucks, aren't they teamed with Hitachi?
As far as dirt is concerned, you don't see too many Terex/Euclid scrapers around Nebraska, most fleets are Cats. I always wondered if the suspended axle Loadrunners rode anywhere near as good as a cushion hitch Cat, which seems to be the main advantage a Cat has, that, and product support, and the amount of money Cat can hurl at developement.
There is a company in the Kansas City area, Damon Purcell, they prefer
S24's to Cat 631's, and have good luck with them. They have re-engined theirs for more power, (with what, I don't know) and they sure do look bigger than a 631. Very impressive in appearance.
Comments?
alan627b

t3chw00di

push block purpose

Yep, that gadget is a push pad for loading scrapers/pans. I have yet to figure the logic of having a tractor with an attachment like that which can virtually ONLY do one job against having a tractor fitted with a dozer blade that is a multi-purpose tool.

From what I can gather, that style of push pad didn't really gain much favour and was pretty much overtaken by the cushion push blade. I've been in the game 40 plus years DownUnder and I have yet to see one in the 'flesh', so to speak.

In around 88/89 I ran several old D8H's with push blocks like that. We pulled 463 cable scrapers behind and the push blocks came in handy push loading the guy in front of you or giving them a shove if they got stuck. Since they are relatively pretty light, they didn't weigh down the front end which would make it hard to turn with a loaded scraper behind you. Those were the days before Peterson blades were around.
Another reason for a push block rather than a full dozer was if you are digging snake pits in tight areas. IE narrow right of ways. The dozers were too wide as they are wider than the scraper.

t3ch