• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is the best tri axle dump truck made?

mitch504

Now that you hate us all for being smartasses, that is an impossible question. It's like saying who makes the best pickup, except that with a truck you can get the same drivetrain in almost all brands. A better question would be how to spec a dump truck for my operation.

When I was in the dump truck business, I ran all Macks because I had been a Mack mechanic, (but I had been an IH mechanic too). One of the biggest points was that Hughes Motors (who I liked) had a dealership here, and Carolina International (who I didn't like) was 60 miles away. All other truck dealers were at least 60 miles away in Charleston or Florence.

tnc110

Are you looking at buying new or used? Budget? After some of the horror stories with the dpf equipped trucks, I would look for a good used 07 or earlier. Where I live in the mountains the worst selection would be a Mack CV(post RD model trucks). No low end torque. You have to keep the Rs up like the old 2 stroke detroits or you are in trouble. They would be fine in flat country, but not in the hills.

ptrdozing

An old Ford with hendrickson suspension and a 3406 Cat. :) It will always out crawl the air ride trucks, and you wont ever have to buy a dash or cab parts. Although if your only running pavement get something with air ride. Your back will thank you.