• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is Normal Hydraulic Noise?

swampdog

I'm new to skidsteer loaders. This used Bobcat S300 works well, turns well, and has strong hydraulics. Both wheel motors appear to work well - the machine tracks straight. What is normal hydraulic noise on one of these machines?

The hydraulic pump is nice and quiet when machine is not moving and when operating just the bucket controls. The machine makes hydraulic noise - groaning - when the machine moves. It seems more noisy when moving forward than backwards. The noise continues even with both levers pushed all the way forward - at full speed. It makes a louder groaning noise when turning. The noise is the same when turning either way.

The hydraulic fluid is at the correct level, and the filters (other than the case drain filter - see separate thread with question about that) were changed recently. It's hard to describe noises and decibel levels, etc. But does this sound normal?

If there is a problem, I would like to deal with it before something suffers more damage. If this is normal for Bobcats, I guess one just has to get used to the noise.

durallymax

A smooth constant groan is normal hydraulic whine in many skid steers or anything driven hydrostatically really. The older ones don't have cabs to quiet things down as much and if you have manual controls you will hear even more noise.

Inconsistent noise, gurgling etc is not always good. If you hear this check for foaming in the hydraulic tank.

Its hard to describe whats normal and not. If its ear piercing then I would take it to someone who has been around a lot of the same machines to compare. Maybe you can go to the dealer and test drive a couple other S300s. Buy some parts from them while your there for their troubles. Sometimes the noise isn't hydraulic at all and simply a line touching something and buzzing against it.

The only thing I can really say for certain is that all skid steers do make some sort of hydraulic noise, its the nature of a hydro drive. They whine a lot.