• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is a fair price for crushed gravel?

sundanceexp

Im looking for some insight, I am trying to put together a crushing operation, and I am trying to figure out what a reasonable price to charge for crushed gravel is? There is only one other crusher within a 60 mile radius and they are putting the screws to everyone. Any advice would be helpful.

robin yates uk

excuse my ignorance but in the UK gravel is small rounded pebbles used in bedding. I think river rock is what the USA calls gravel

Delmer

In common usage in the US, gravel is any material with small stones in it. Technically gravel is naturally occurring, but even sellers call crushed rock "gravel" some/or most of the time, to the public at least.

Kind of like Americans not knowing any difference between salary and wages.

To the OP. Around here, crushed limestone, breaker run or 3/4" "driveway gravel" is $12 ton delivered, about half that picked up. At least three active quarries from 5-10 miles away.

I don't know the quarry business, but I would assume that if you're a smaller quarry selling a much lower volume then you'd have to charge more than a big quarry because you don't have the economies of scale, but maybe you have to make that up by doing more of your own work and keeping your equipment running longer?

JDOFMEMI

What does the other quarry charge? What is their delivered price to your area? You need to be cheaper with the all in delivered price to sell much rock.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
fight the big boys every day.go buy you a new welder and torch set and big sledge hammer your going to need them. I miss the days of pushing dirt all day and not having to work on 5++things before lunch:eek: now its just nice to pull back in to plant and its still crushing. Good luck:)

johndeere123

Are you looking to open your own quarry, or contract crush for other people? Here type 1 rock is around $10 a tonne loaded into a truck. And costs about $6 a tonne to have someone come in and crush for you in your own quarry.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Also, does anyone know what a fair price is to pay for pit run gravel from the land owner? Thanks

Well ??? ….. Lets grab the Dice and throw them on the table ! ….. Asking how much Processed Gravel or Pit-run per yard in its natural state, is like asking how much is a used car ??? …… It all depends on the Car ……. and it all depends on What your incurred costs of processing the raw material is or will be.

Location, location, location has alot to do with costs to the end user as well as producing the finished product …..

Here in Canada we have guys who take their raw material (pitrun) from private land owners too ….. As far as they the Land owner are concerned a fair rate may be a $1.00/yd to him for the use of the land …. then u'r gonna have to consider the reclaiming costs to you to return the property to an original state as you found it, ( meaning you might have to landscape it )….

BUT the kicker Here is we also have OUR GOVERNMENT they have things called Ministries of MINING and Natural Resources ….. the land owner may own the Land but he does not own what's beneath it past a 1' deep ….. SO NOW you have permits out the who-who and then there are the Royalties to the Crown (Canadian Govn't) ……

Cheaper may not be the answer to the issue at hand for you …. But you may find you found a niche in your area to create a more feasible $$$ product ….. never forget the costs of trucking/handling the material either, you may find that if you are trucking your own materials that you can give the end user a break in costs …… LOWBALLING only causes huge pissing matches and bidding wars where no-one wins !!! ……JMHO & .02 worth ….cheers

Occupation
Machineryzone.com, Chief Information Officer
Well ??? ….. Lets grab the Dice and throw them on the table ! ….. Asking how much Processed Gravel or Pit-run per yard in its natural state, is like asking how much is a used car ??? …… It all depends on the Car ……. and it all depends on What your incurred costs of processing the raw material is or will be.

Location, location, location has alot to do with costs to the end user as well as producing the finished product …..

Here in Canada we have guys who take their raw material (pitrun) from private land owners too ….. As far as they the Land owner are concerned a fair rate may be a $1.00/yd to him for the use of the land …. then u'r gonna have to consider the reclaiming costs to you to return the property to an original state as you found it, ( meaning you might have to landscape it )….

BUT the kicker Here is we also have OUR GOVERNMENT they have things called Ministries of MINING and Natural Resources ….. the land owner may own the Land but he does not own what's beneath it past a 1' deep ….. SO NOW you have permits out the who-who and then there are the Royalties to the Crown (Canadian Govn't) ……

Cheaper may not be the answer to the issue at hand for you …. But you may find you found a niche in your area to create a more feasible $$$ product ….. never forget the costs of trucking/handling the material either, you may find that if you are trucking your own materials that you can give the end user a break in costs …… LOWBALLING only causes huge pissing matches and bidding wars where no-one wins !!! ……JMHO & .02 worth ….cheers

Same over here in Ireland - the government owns everything - so by extension, whoever owns them gets the licences :D

It's so bad here that it is illegal (and actively prosecuted) to use a metal detector unless it is your own land, and even then you need a permit - there's so much undiscovered heritage treasure here because of this. The idea was noble- keep the stuff for the people......but they never considered the fact that none of it will be found now.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
There is something to be said about quality too. I know my local quarry is reaching the end of its supply of high quality (hard) rock, has been blending in soft rock for years, stretching what's left. I'm told the quarry only has a few years left in it.

So if you're planning to open a pit, you better ensure you have good quality rock or you won't be able to sell it at all IMO.

:beatsme